Failed Key Transponder - ALFA 147

Started by Diamond Ric T, January 30, 2019, 02:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diamond Ric T

Good day fellow ALFA enthusiasts.
Several months ago my (one and only key) for the car started to play up. Every so often it would give a "IMMOBILIZER FAIL" message on the dash. A second turn of the key would  see it right. Then one day....100% FAIL. The engine will crank but not start. I took the key to a couple of locksmiths who placed it in their inductive chip reader. They said that the transponder was dead. No responsive signal at all. Since then, I have had nothing but dead ends in my attempts to get things right. The official ALFA statement is. "we will need to get a new key from Italy, then our service centre will program it - and you have to bring the car in". All of this comes to approximately $2000. I will torch the car before I  pay that.
I would be interested to know what you thought of this plan: 1. Get a key and a body computer from a car that works. Replace the body computer. 2. Begin by using the original key to turn the ignition barrel whilst holding the good key in close proximity. 3. If it works, then have a new key cut which is the same physical shape as the original, but copy the transponder chip from the good one. Is it worth a shot? Or do I break up an otherwise perfect car and sell the parts?
ALFA 166 3.0 V6 2001
ALFA 156 2.0 TS Manual wagon 2001
ALFA 156 2.0 TS Manual sedan 2002
ALFA 147 2.0 TS Manual 5 door hatch 2003

"My thirst for learning is only transcended by the joy of sharing the knowledge"

bazzbazz

Ok, the transponder chip in the 147 Key is of the glass type, meaning that yes, it can break and fail, where the 156 keys have a plastic type chip and is virtually indestructible.

The usual way to resolve this is to obtain a new working set from a wreckers of the following -

A/ New key with chip (Just swap over the old key tang and put it in the new key fob)
B/ New body computer
C/ New Engine ECU

You NEED all 3!!

You must have all 3 and from the same donor car and must be the same door style as your car - 2 door hatch or 4 door hatch

You will also need diagnostics to do a Proxy Alignment as well as the Electronic code of the donor car so you can re-code the central locking to work. If you have the Vin of the donor car you can get the electronic code for Alfa Romeo. (for a price)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Diamond Ric T

Thank you bazz. I am now in the business of looking for a wreck!
ALFA 166 3.0 V6 2001
ALFA 156 2.0 TS Manual wagon 2001
ALFA 156 2.0 TS Manual sedan 2002
ALFA 147 2.0 TS Manual 5 door hatch 2003

"My thirst for learning is only transcended by the joy of sharing the knowledge"

Citroƫnbender

bazzbazz

Also, it must be a matched set from the same type of gearbox, Selespeed for Selespeed and Manual for manual, or again, it won't work.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au