159 air con issue

Started by V AR 164, January 25, 2019, 02:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

Quote from: bazzbazz on January 30, 2019, 06:48:54 PM
So, have you worked out how your going to re-fit the new compressor yet? Have a look, take your time, think about it, and no, you're most likely wrong.   ;)

Anyone who does know or owns a workshop manual, SHHHH. Want to see if our intrepid 164 Guru can come to grip with this more modern foe.   ;D

Hahahahaha. I have already been trying to get to grips with the new ECU and resetting various service interval messages that pop up on the dash. It's nice being with a 'new' girl that actually knows what she wants by plugging in a computer and reading codes, compared to the old gal (164) where a missfire would leave you dumbfounded. Suppose would be nice if the real gf was as easy to read!!!  :-\ :-\

I'll have a look at the air con system tomorrow as my mechanic is busy for the next week or so. I may get it discharged at an authorised place and go about replacing the compressor myself.

I read up online and read if the compressor failed internally, I would need to replace the condenser as Citroen mentioned due to metal fragments that could clog the system, but if it is external like the clutch engagement mechanism this is not required. Any one have methods of telling which is the case?

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Citroënbender

This is starting to sound like the old joke about the gynaecologist becoming a mechanic...

Andrew, pulleys/clutch coils readily come off and interchange if both are same brand/era.  Bodies are standardised types.

four90s

CB,

You started out fine talking about a/c with pullies and coils but went back to the girlfriend again with bodies are standardised types.....

Steve
Adelaide
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)

Citroënbender

If only we had something like the US Constitution's Fifth Amendment8)

V AR 164

Well I finally got around to doing it!

What a job it was. To be fair it was not too hard but just very time consuming considering the whole front of the car needed to be removed. Got a second hand compressor and fitted it today. The old compressor clutch was in two pieces and the compressor itself was seized.

Anyhow off to get it re-gassed next week, hopefully I'll be set for summer  :D

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

poohbah

Great work Andrew, but what a faff that looks to have been.

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

V AR 164

Cheers, yeah they don't make it easy!

Btw how's the 156 and GTV going? Been looking at getting a GTV as a project recently but not to keen on the free rust that comes with them  :-\

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

poohbah

Hmm - both still running beautifully well, but the wallet not so...

156 just had belt/water pump change, new engine mount, new tie rod end, CV boots when in for 160,000km service (so I'm on bread & water for a while).

As for the GTV - you're words are apt.

Decided I'd start poking around to work out how bad the rear valance was. Wish I hadn't ...

So I'll be looking for a good fabricator/welder when I can afford to.

So yep, if you go down the GTV route, forget the mechanicals (you can fix them), just get something that has been ignored by the tin worms.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)