159 air con issue

Started by V AR 164, January 25, 2019, 02:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

Hi all,

My first problem with the 159 so far, and it couldn't happen at a better time!!! 42 degrees and counting  >:(

Anyway, wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue. So did an oil change last night and reset the onboard computer using mes. Took it for a quick drive up and down the street to let the oil flow through and to recheck levels etc.

As I was coming back up the street, a very loud grinding noise happened at about 3k rpm. Sounded like a metal gear was grinding against plastic or something. Needless to say it scared the crap out of me. As the revs came back to idle, it went away immediately. So I pulled over and checked that I may have left a tool in the engine bay and it slipped down into the accessory belt or something. I couldn't find anything.

So I started the car again and drove it up the street again and the noise happened again. WTF??. Again checked everything, the car was still running perfectly fine so the thought of the timing belt slipping went away.

Took it back home and parked it up. As I was about to shut it off, I noticed the air con wasn't as cold as it should have been. I thought nothing of this and went back inside because it was 38 degrees outside and cbf dealing with it.

Today I went out and turned the air con on cause it is so damn hot, and it only blew hot air. I gave it a minute or so and still nothing.

I can hear the AC condenser clicking on, which leads me to believe the system is full of gas, otherwise it wouldn't engage.

I've read online that there is a coupler that can become dirty and can be cleaned, but I'd though I'd ask here anyways. Sorry for a very long paragraph, but wanted to give all the details. I've rang a few places and the earliest they can fit me in is late next week, early the next  :(
I didn't buy a car with aircon to not use it!!

Any ideas? Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

V AR 164

Well seems that noise is still there, here's a video:

https://youtu.be/awEWINWWiH0

The clutch engages but the idle of the car does not change at all. I think the clutch material discs are worn. So even though it has 'engaged' it's not grabbing on the pulley flywheel, or whatever it's called.

Only does this sound when the AC is engaged.

Andrew
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Citroënbender

Bad news.

Your compressor is seized, and has contaminated the system. Disconnect the coil wire of the clutch, remove the drive belt and see if the pulley bearing still runs smoothly. If not, do not refit the belt, and post up. If it does run smoothly, put the belt back on but leave the drive clutch coil unplugged.

Minimum you'll need:
New compressor, drier, TX, condenser.
Full solvent flush and nitrogen purge.

Vac and gas.

Pseudonym

Yikes - does it make the horrific noise when you rev without the air conditioning on? And is it definitely in the engine compartment and not the internal fan? Mate did a compressor shaft on his Evo9 air con once and reported a similar sound, scared the Jesus out of him, thought he'd blown it up.

Sent from my T04 using Tapatalk

V AR 164

Seems like it is indeed the compressor that's had it. I'm just surprised that it was working fine all day yesterday and it just all of a sudden broke.

I'll get my qualified mechanic to have a look at it as I don't want to mess around with AC refrigerant. Had a quick look online and new compressors are quite expensive so as much as I don't want to use second hand parts, it's probably what I'll end up doing.

edit: no it doesn't make noise when the ac is turned off

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Citroënbender

AC parts aren't so dear as you may imagine. Shop hard, use your industry exposure.

Citroënbender

This suggests to me, you could get an aftermarket compressor through Baxters etc for sub-$500 new.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Zexel-DCS17IC-compressor-for-Alfa-Romeo-2-4-JTDM-60693332-71789099-71789101/32671143922.html

Note some units use PAG46, others PAG100. If (say) your car had a frontal, and was recharged/new condenser it may have either been short on oil or the wrong type used.  Not all aftermarket compressors will spec the same oil either - another reason to full flush. 

bazzbazz

Quote from: V AR 164 on January 25, 2019, 04:14:58 PM
I'm just surprised that it was working fine all day yesterday and it just all of a sudden broke.

But isn't it the case, that EVERYTHING is ALWAYS running fine . . . till it breaks, if it's not broken, well then it's running . . . . ain't it?  ??? ??? ???

;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

V AR 164

Yes true that haha, but it wasn't making any werid noises beforehand and the previous owner had the air con regassed just over a year ago. Thought it would have slowly gone bad like a wheel bearing or something haha.

Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated on the progress.

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Citroënbender

Well, it did slowly go bad!

What happened just this week, was crossing the threshold where sufficient oil had escaped that your compressor was no longer able to self-lubricate.

Have you yet, an UV torch and safety goggles?

Citroënbender

As the day goes

Replacement or steer away from?

Citroënbender

Identical part under GM labelling, from memory Astras of the same period.

V AR 164

Those seem to have only one pulley for one serpentine belt. I'm pretty sure mine has two belts running off the compressor.

I know someone wrecking a 2.4 so will hopefully grab the compressor off him. Rather get one off a 159 so I can be 100% all the mounts line up properly.

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

bazzbazz

So, have you worked out how your going to re-fit the new compressor yet? Have a look, take your time, think about it, and no, you're most likely wrong.   ;)

Anyone who does know or owns a workshop manual, SHHHH. Want to see if our intrepid 164 Guru can come to grip with this more modern foe.   ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au