159 TI too low

Started by murray_dee_87, January 23, 2019, 08:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

murray_dee_87

I have a 159 TI which comes with the sports suspension. Don't get me wrong it looks amazing but I found I scrape on everything, when is low too low? Anyone else have this problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poohbah

I don't have a 159, but all my Alfas (2x156 and 1x116GTV) were/are lowered, and they inevitably scrape on some things.

For my 156s, the only real scraping point has been the front chin - but primarily only when entering/leaving a ramp, or going over really big speed bumps, or if you park with the nose over a raised kerb. So really not an issue,  you soon get accustomed to being more careful when navigating such items.

The GTV used to scrape at the front and the rear on virtually any raised object. But I discovered this was due to 2 factors - shoddy exhaust manifold/collector hanging too far below sump at the front and exhaust pipe hanging too low at the rear. Ageing dampers/springs probably also a contributing factor.

Since had the exhaust system fixed, and no more problems.

If you think your car is scraping unusually often, you could check your tyres are properly inflated, and that the springs/shocks don't feel unusually 'flaccid". Also have a squiz to see if there is anything that looks like its protruding below sump level more than it should.

If it has a factory lowered suspension option, you shouldn't be having too many issues other than the chin scraping on really steep ramps and some of the higher speed bumps/kerbs  councils seem obsessed with installing these days. Those bolted on, rectangular raised rubber speed humps seem to be the worst.

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

GTV6SA

I have a 3.2 Ti and you must slow down for all speed humps  as well as steep driveways, its something to get use to if you own a Ti ,be especially careful of the humps in industrial units because if you arent careful and hit those  can cause the exhaust  to move upwards on impact and damage the 2 lambda probes

V AR 164

Mines not a Ti, but has the optional eibach lowering kit from the factory. I never ever scraped it on anything. I always approach driveways/speedbumps on an angle and never have any issues.

My 164 is about 70mm off the ground from its lowest point and again I've never scraped it. Just gotta get into the habbit of going slow over bumps and angling the car going up driveways and such.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Pseudonym

Technically it's the kerbs and bumps that are too high - ADRs mandate specific angles and heights for vehicles that correspond to road design guidelines, but generally local councils follow the guidelines and private car parks do whatever they like. You can always get standard springs if you can live with the look, also by many accounts raising the ride height improves tire wear greatly.

Sent from my T04 using Tapatalk

David Mills

Our 3.2 Ti Sportwagon is indeed very low and does scrape.

You have to be very careful and yes, I have given thought to going up to standard height. Very low is designed for Autostrada performance not Australian B roads and driveway humps.

All that said the GT is a similar clearance and requires the same care!

Heli1

Murray, agree with GTV as my 3.2 Ti scrapes on everything as well. Just have to look ahead and slow down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
159 3.2 JTS Ti

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

My 3.2 Ti scrapes.  Tackling obstacles at silly- low speeds may be frustrating, but it helps.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

poohbah

And  s
          i
            d
               e
                  w
                      a
                         y
                            s    whenever possible ;D
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

kaleuclint

1750Tbi engine 159Ti definitely scrapes your average speed hump (unless you slow right down, which is what it's designed to do).  I'm choosy about which entrance I use at the local supermarket; some of the crossovers are more angled than others and are best avoided. 

It's not a ridiculously low car, but care and attention required.  Same goes for not scratching 19" wheels.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Trevor Canobio

My 2012 159 Ti has stopped scraping all above road surface objects for me; the answer was simple. It sits in my driveway looking as sexy as ever; but goes nowhere after dropping it's coolant on the way to Phillip Island. About to go and investigate; I suspect the achilles heel; the water pump. It had a Lance Dixon 4 yr service at 32000km in April 2016; invoice shows new pump and belt kit and all fluids replaced. Now done 40000km.
Any AROCA member have a set of Cam locks I can borrow on a non permanent basis, would be appreciated.

bazzbazz

What makes you think it's the water pump? There is more than one weak point in the 159 cooling system.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

kaleuclint

About to purchase a trolley jack and it'll be a low profile one obviously.

The 1750TBi is regarded as bulletproof, but it certainly has coolant issues:

• Two cracked header tanks
  • Water pump bearing failure
  • Radiator hose failure
Bulletproof but maybe not waterproof?
2011 159ti 1750TBi

bazzbazz

Well it does use the same water pump as the 156 and thus has the same weaknesses/limitations.

Have a read of my "Dirty Wheels II" article in the November 2017 edition of the Qld Alfa magazine and you'll see a classic example
of just what can go wrong with these pumps in the 1750TBi engine.

http://www.arocaqld.com/downloads/magazine/psa201711I2TD7KWQ.pdf
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

kaleuclint

Resurrecting this thread as I may have a suspension issue.  With two people in the back the wheel arch gaps have closed right up.  Do I need stiffer springs??  Any experiences / suggestions??

Not looking to go down the suspension makeover (or coilover) route here; just want the ride height when laden to be fixed.
2011 159ti 1750TBi