916 Ph2 TS no gears - FINALLY FIXED

Started by ugame, January 09, 2019, 08:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

ugame

Quote from: Citroënbender on January 13, 2019, 12:15:39 PM
Just to confirm, it is part 13 within the first image in the link following?

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=10128.0

Nope.

If I'm reading the diagram correctly, the "bush" isn't even shown as a separate part.
Looking at that, it's the end of rod #17 going down onto the ball joint atop SGR21219?

The assembly BELOW that ball joint including parts 18, 19, 20, and 21 looks right.

However my rod has a HOLE at that end, into which the bushing goes.

See photos.
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.

Citroënbender

Gotcha. Still the same approach. In your case maybe try removing the entire rod to facilitate replacement of the bush?

There will be either flats on the opposing threaded end or an internal hex, this is to counterhold it while unscrewing the nyloc nut.

ugame

Quote from: Citroënbender on January 13, 2019, 03:10:31 PM
Gotcha. Still the same approach. In your case maybe try removing the entire rod to facilitate replacement of the bush?

There will be either flats on the opposing threaded end or an internal hex, this is to counterhold it while unscrewing the nyloc nut.

Cheers mate. I did assume the same re a counter head but couldn't "feel" one. No bite on the top side with a 13mm open ended spanner, so perhaps it's smaller than the underside. Will try again, but I also see hope in your Jubilee clip suggestion too.

Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS

Vne165

Sorry if this is stating the bleeding obvious, and apologies for the hasty sketches.
Sketch "Bush 1" is what you're trying to get to.
Sketch "Bush 2" is how you have to apply force to achieve it. G-clamp is useful, but the whole thing tends to tip over and generally pop off.
Just a matter of patience and repeated trying I'm afraid. Carry on!

ugame

Thanks to EVERYONE chiming in. It served as helpful tips but mostly moral support to just keep on keeping on lol.

Today my son was at the beach so I employed the wife to turn some spanners lol.

The FAR end of the rod is indeed held on with a 13mm nut and the joint can be held still by a 10mm open spanner.

So I held the spanner in place above with my arm shoulder deep in the engine bay, while my good wife turned the nut from below and BINGO, we liberated the rod.

I also re-removed the bush from the ball joint, and once in the workshop with my trusty vice (best random present from my inlaws EVER a few years back), the bush was in place. I mean....really first try. 2 min job FFS lol

Warning....when "finishing" bush into rod placement with a rubber mallet on the bench, it is VERY easy to BEND the end of the rod :/

It had a slight kink to begin with, so I've "corrected" it back to where I think it was, but it may be slightly more kinked now than it should be......ANYWAY........

Long story short, it's all back together and back in the car and a short 10 min test drive confirms all gears selectable.

It's been a while since I drove this car, and to me it feels slightly different......but maybe I'm comparing it to the Porsche which is tight as.

I wont mention the bent rod if you dont ;)

Pics or the rod in case it helps future noobs like myself, and also see if you can spot the "incentive" for getting the GTV fixed.......

OH lastly, even though the TOP of the bush is "smaller" than the bottom, it's the TOP of the ROD that is bevelled. Hence I chose to push the bush in bottom end first. Seemed to work.

Citroënbender

LOL, parking in your going car with a dead car...  :P

Glad it's fixed.

Vne165

ugame

Hi all,

I've updated the FIRST post in this thread with an easy 9 step guide to help future noobs lol.

It's not worth even trying this "in car". It's 20 mins max once you know what you're doing.

I just really like threads that are "problem - solution"

Thanks again everyone for the moral support.

bazzbazz

Am I the only one here who ironically looks at this supposedly simple job and can't work out what all the fuss is about?   :)

I know and understand just how the simplest looking jobs are usually the biggest bastards of all, but lets be honest, if you looked at this page and weren't familiar with just how sick & twisted sense of humor God has, how could you not look at it and utter under your breath those infamous words . . . . . "just how hard can it be?"   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

The rolling list of credits will sound like one of the those actors receiving a gong: "I'd like to thank my lovely wife, my wonderful son, my mechanic, my carport, m-m-m-my Sharona..."

QuoteThanks again everyone for the moral support.
We'll try to balance it with some immoral support next time.  8) 8) 8)

ugame

Quote from: bazzbazz on January 14, 2019, 10:08:27 PM
Am I the only one here who ironically looks at this supposedly simple job and can't work out what all the fuss is about?   :)

I know and understand just how the simplest looking jobs are usually the biggest bastards of all, but lets be honest, if you looked at this page and weren't familiar with just how sick & twisted sense of humor God has, how could you not look at it and utter under your breath those infamous words . . . . . "just how hard can it be?"   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You're not wrong Bazz.

It's a very simple job made very complicated by the quest to "save time" by trying to do it "in car" while being unsure about if the approach being taken was even the correct one.

I'm sure I'm not the only noob out there. Most just search and don't post though. I'm too crazy to not ask a stupid question :D

Someone I'm sure will find this info of use in the future. They wont thank us because they wont be as honest as me :D

They're the kind of person who will google "coughing up blood. Should I see a doctor?" and keep searching until they find the answer that says "no no. It's normal" because that's what they want to find :D