Transverse TS Bellhousing Pattern

Started by Citroënbender, December 31, 2018, 10:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnl

Quote from: Citroënbender on January 02, 2019, 08:13:19 PM
If I want to deal with half-baked engineering that makes a Grey Fergie look sophistimacated.....

The BMW was my wife's car, a 2500. The engine died (cracked head), and was going to cost a great deal to repair. This was an issue with early BMW straight sixes, not a matter of if the head would crack, but when it would crack (badly designed coolant circulation through the head, causing unequal expansion rates eventually leading to cracks). I didn't want to fit a SH head likely to fail sooner or later, and a new one was megabucks.

She loved the car, so I saved it for her (this is a love story...) by fitting the Red motor. Yes it was a 186 that was more or less donated by a friend, and not really suited to the gearbox calibration because it wouldn't rev. The plan was to later fit a 202 GTR XU-1 engine, which would have been a much better match for the gearbox. Sad to say the car was written off before this was fitted...

Regards,
John.

Citroënbender

It's OK, nobody is playing Gloomy Sunday yet.  :)

poohbah

C'mon CB - go for it.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

poohbah

Surely heresy would be putting a 120Y donk in an Alfa?
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Craig_m67

Quote from: Citroënbender on January 02, 2019, 06:57:56 AM
So, no earlier Alfa transmissions are even physically close to matching the CF2/3 bellhousing bolt pattern?

As I remember it (but can't find a link to cite), the donk that came along in the 156/147 etc., is based on a FIAT FIRE engine block.. and FIAT g'boxes of the same period or earlier (124/125/etc) fit....

... I'm basing this on an internet memory from another country and I probably have it wrong. 

I'm other news, the current MX-5 gearbox fits the 1750 QV engine which could be put in longitudinally... markedly quicker and dafter, but includes a serv of rice
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

johnl

Quote from: Craig_m67 on January 05, 2019, 06:09:58 PM
As I remember it (but can't find a link to cite), the donk that came along in the 156/147 etc., is based on a FIAT FIRE engine block.. and FIAT g'boxes of the same period or earlier (124/125/etc) fit....

Isn't the the Alfa 'Twin Spark' engine a version of the FIAT 'Pratola Serra' engine? (not the smaller 'FIRE' engine). I doubt that this has any mechanical relationship to the old FIAT Lampredi 'Twin Cam' and associated engines (could be wrong).

Of course this doesn't mean that there is no chance that the 'Pratola Serra' engine wouldn't mate to an old FIAT 125 / 124 etc gearbox, but it would be unlikely is my guess. Wiki says that some version of the Pratola Serra engine is fitted to some Jeep vehicles (Cherokee and Renegade), but even these seem to be transverse engined (based on a FIAT platform).

Regards,
John.

Citroënbender

This is all quite interesting, in light of the fact that "cutting and shutting" a bellhousing is easier when starting from one that doesn't take in part of the final drive as well.

Besides, it's reasonable to assume that a European cast housing would not be ferrous in a small passenger car application.