Cost of Spider sill replacement?

Started by Al Campbell, December 15, 2018, 12:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

I think your back of the envelope estimate is on the low side - if you haven't run a resto it's the fringe costs, legwork and "trading up" that blow out unexpectedly.  Plus time delays while the budget realigns to the new target. 

If you want to drive the car ASAP, why not get a roughie and do the minimum for roadworthiness?  Leave repairs in epoxy primer (tinted, if you like) so if you sell, the integrity of new work is visible.

Al Campbell

Quote from: Citroënbender on December 16, 2018, 10:10:44 PM
I think your back of the envelope estimate is on the low side - if you haven't run a resto it's the fringe costs, legwork and "trading up" that blow out unexpectedly.  Plus time delays while the budget realigns to the new target. 

If you want to drive the car ASAP, why not get a roughie and do the minimum for roadworthiness?  Leave repairs in epoxy primer (tinted, if you like) so if you sell, the integrity of new work is visible.

I did have a working figure for back to metal (ie. blasting), based on no experience of $30,000.

Maybe after the summer break, if the seller that started this would was getting desperate, see if he would let the car be taken to someone like Paul Rankin for a thorough inspection and quote (knowing that it'd be low) and then see how low the seller would go.

rowan_bris

I would wait for another car or get a panel beater to look at it before you buy.  I don't think the current trend in increasing prices is going to continue in the medium term.  Classic cars have always followed the economy....

Al Campbell

Quote from: rowan_bris on December 17, 2018, 08:50:04 AM
I would wait for another car or get a panel beater to look at it before you buy.  I don't think the current trend in increasing prices is going to continue in the medium term.  Classic cars have always followed the economy....
probably the best idea. Get my garage/workshop built 1st, then I'll have a much better idea of my budget.