105 restoration - definitely not a rally car

Started by Colin Byrne, December 15, 2018, 07:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaStregaNera

Quote from: aggie57 on December 20, 2018, 04:34:09 PM
Definitely interested!  From the pictures it looks like the master bolts up to the standard holes and uses the standard pedals?  With the bracket you designed?
It does exactly that. I came up with the solution because I was sick of rebuilding the remote booster, and didn't like the Alfaholics solution for 2 reasons - how far it hung off the rail, and the Alfaholics setup, when used with factory calipers and no booster, doesn't use off the shelf cylinders - because they're in parrallel rather than tandem they are sleeved down for the job. This uses an off the shelf 19mm ATE master (which is available as a 22mm for use with larger calipers)...
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Craig_m67

Sounds good to me, I'm unlikely to miss the boosters (as I don't think I've ever felt them work).  :P
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Colin Byrne

Thanks, yea done plenty of tandem MC conversions in previous cars.  Agree that the alfaholics box is way too offset for any decent rigidity.  To alleviate this  on the rally car I pretty much ran a second chassis rail down the outside of the car so both the master cylinder mount and the brake pedal pivot is in double sheer.  This also allowed me to run the master cylinder push rod without any offset, another less than optimal design of the AH box IMO.

also agree that with a good breaking system and correctly sized mc pistons you don't actually need the boosters.  So thinking for this build a good twin MC system with no booster but leave all the booster brackets ect so all can be converted back to standard?

New video in the pipeline small break down at the beach than back into it!
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

aggie57

Quote from: Colin Byrne on December 22, 2018, 04:56:13 PM
Thanks, yea done plenty of tandem MC conversions in previous cars.  Agree that the alfaholics box is way too offset for any decent rigidity.  To alleviate this  on the rally car I pretty much ran a second chassis rail down the outside of the car so both the master cylinder mount and the brake pedal pivot is in double sheer.  This also allowed me to run the master cylinder push rod without any offset, another less than optimal design of the AH box IMO.

also agree that with a good breaking system and correctly sized mc pistons you don't actually need the boosters.  So thinking for this build a good twin MC system with no booster but leave all the booster brackets ect so all can be converted back to standard?

New video in the pipeline small break down at the beach than back into it!

That's what I was thinking too Colin, i.e. leave the brackets etc. in place.  My car is slowly edging to the paint booth, it should be resplendent in nice new AR348 in the New Year:

Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Colin Byrne

new video

after a lot of welding and grinding The boot saga finally ends

on to the floor next....

https://youtu.be/z7SwDj68pTA

Colin Byrne

another installment

https://youtu.be/peU0cxts-K8

Started on the main floor of the car last week, think its the worst part of the car.  Made up a new front passenger floor pan and very happy with the result!

Neil Choi

sketchl

Great DYI resto as usual Colin. Your vids are bloody entertaining and informative and you should also post on the AlfaBB forum as it would inspire a lot more Alfisti globally.

As for the braking upgrade, I can vouch 100% for LaStregaNera setup as it works great on my 105 (note that it's not a GTA rep.....LOL)

Looking forward to the updates.
1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!

LaStregaNera

Quote from: sketchl on January 11, 2019, 08:01:25 PM
As for the braking upgrade, I can vouch 100% for LaStregaNera setup as it works great on my 105 (note that it's not a GTA rep.....LOL)
Cheers! Sorry - hotrod 105 GT :)
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Colin Byrne

New Vid
https://youtu.be/WRbmhrf6J88

nearly finished the floor, which i think is the worst of it (famous last words)