Has this spider been in a shunt?

Started by Al Campbell, December 02, 2018, 06:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Campbell

Appealing to those with more experience of the model.

Drivers side front bumper looks bent as does passenger rear.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Alfa-Romeo-2000-1972/OAG-AD-16594909/?Cr=3

Passenger door card not well either, not that that may be much of an issue.

Lowered too much. No shots of sills...

shaggy

Pretty much impossible to tell from the photos. A lot of spiders have misaligned front bumpers (most are angled up, which rubs on the body), and straight rear bumpers (they should have a slight curve)...including mine! Get it on a hoist to really tell what has gone on. It has clearly had some paint work and the wiring redone/tidied up at some point, looks like all the right bits are still there from a quick glance

But surely the suspension on this needs some attention? I like low, but...

GTV-074

My guess and it's only a guess....

Is a converted USA spec car.

Vinyl doesn't look like the Aus spec colour ...ok could have been reupholstered?

There are no heater slider controls on the console, so the heater is not operational, too
Hard to convert?

Engine bay just doesn't look right.

You would need to get the chassis number and confirm what it is.

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

Citroënbender

It would be easy to see on inspection, if the (large) USA side marker light holes had been filled in.

Autodelta have a decent reputation, I'm sure the thread starter would get accurate responses to any serious questions asked of them, about their subject vehicle.

Interesting to note barely a year ago, BAT vended a rather rarer Spider for $8500-odd hammer fall: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-alfa-romeo-spider/

Craig_m67

I doubt it's a US import/conversion.  Everything under the bonnet is in the right place, including the steering box/idler box and imprints/pressings on the firewall that wouldn't be there if it started life as a left hooker.

The bumpers on Spiders (all 105\115 chassis) might as well be cosmetic in my opinion, I'm yet to see a straight one.  The drop on the rear lower bumper could easily be cause by some goose thinking he can rest his foot on it while having a beer and a chat.. landcruiser strength and reliability is not a hallmark of Spider bumpers.

As an aside, I'd expect every Alfa to have had at least one low speed shunt by now, easy to check the chassis for ripples if it has
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

GTV-074

The booster closest to the battery doesn't look factory mounted to me, nor does the clutch fluid reservoir.

We need the body number!

Also notice no TYPE plate affixed on the firewall.

Craig_m67

I just checked my '73 1600 GTJunior.. it's looks pretty much identical, I don't have the nice bar between the boosters - hydraulic reservoirs, lids and locations are identical (mine is far more rusty and shit looking).

Tipo plate could easily be lost when resprayed, although the holes look to be filled.

Car looks fine to me, let's burn somebody else's witch.

Cosmetically, everything is available to replace or repair

Given it has been painted, I wouldn't buy it without having the sills professionally checked for bogged over rust, or photographic provenance of them being repaired correctly (all three layers, with metal)

GTV-074

Ok, I asked the sellers for the VIN (2470285).

According to FUSI, it comes in as a 72' GD Spider, so it is a RHD car.

i would say its had some kind of issue under the bonnet (from the  appearance) and
heaps of over spray etc.

Cheers.

Craig_m67

Quote from: GTV-074 on December 04, 2018, 04:19:04 PM
Ok, I asked the sellers for the VIN (2470285).

According to FUSI, it comes in as a 72' GD Spider, so it is a RHD car.

i would say its had some kind of issue under the bonnet (from the  appearance) and
heaps of over spray etc.

Cheers.

Just interested, and not arguing etc... but apart from the panel filter on the carbs, what looks out place under the bonnet to you - it's a dead ringer for my engine bay, albeit a lot less rusty/filthy

*i have no interest in the car or know the seller etc.

GTV-074

Craig,

No issues with me either, I have no connection to the car.

I guess when i see red paint on wiring etc. , issues with heater .... photo's with no real detail, boot, underneath etc. ... just raises a few alarms / caution.

I should have been more accurate and said, "engine bay looks rough to me" .. IMO.

As far as the original question for this car, has it been in a shunt? Just can't tell from the pics available.

Cheers.

Citroënbender

One's perspective on the price might reflect level of interest in these matters of detail.  The asking is almost pocket change for some, and in that sense if they bought it for $38K, used it however for a year and a bit, then traded on another toy - it's a cheap enough piece of kit. 

Gross outgoings in this scenario, would be well below funding a cabin cruiser plus mooring.  :P

rowan_bris

I agree with GTV-074.  The photos are hopeless.  It is also a bit surprising that it doesn't have a compliance plate or a type plate.  The booster issue may well be because it has the wrong PBR 044 boosters on it.  The overspray, missing bonnet light mirco switch, rubbers at the rear and front of the engine bay opening and so on, don't raise alarm bells but do make me at least wonder.  I think the missing heater controls are simply because whoever fitted the fibreglass replica console top didn't cut the holes, but the fact that they didn't i suppose raises other questions.  Who knows and I must say it is hard to find a balance between people not unnecessarily criticising cars for sale and answering questions from potential buyers.

Al Campbell

Mentioned this car too another spider seller who said a client of his had a look and it was in a pretty poor state. Notice it's not listed anymore.