It's not hoarding if they're all slightly different right?

Started by Pseudonym, November 18, 2018, 01:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pseudonym

So this is awkward, but a while ago I was hunting for a 159TI for good times and reliable transportation, and I subsequently bought a 156 Sillyspeed because it was there and it was cleaner than any other 159 even close to the price point. There's a thread about it somewhere where I gush about how amazing it is like a school girl.... Anyways...

I initially got the selespeed because the girlfriend is an auto person and we needed a car we could both run when needed, I drove it everywhere for a while and then as the weather started to dry would drive the 72 Corona more and more. Eventually the girlfriend, crafty thing that she is, saw the Alfa sitting idle and started taking it to work. Fast forward a few weeks and her old neesan wouldn't start in the driveway.... you can see where this is going...

I impulse bought a 159 TI.

A 2.2 Selespeed because sadism.

It appears to have spent it's life sitting in a car park full of cactuses carrying 5 toddlers drinking red cordial.

That said, it was sub $3k, one owner from new and full history. It overheated on them a few times and another mechanic told them it was the head gasket. Coolant in the oil apparently. Either they put in some magical head gasket repair additive that actually does work or someone doesn't know what oil looks like 😝

I find myself in the same position as an earlier thread - I just wanted a daily I wasn't too attached to, something I wouldn't stress about getting dirty. What I ended up with is a better car than I ever imagined and for practically pocket change. As always, purchase price is just the admission ticket for an Alfa, it's going to need control arms, a new air con resistor and a new accumulator, not to mention a high pressure wash of the interior and some vinyl wrap and probably front tires soonish but everything freakin works! I mean yeah it's only working at this exact moment but how often do you buy a car under 3k with all the fruit still edible? 😂

The only bad part of the drive currently is the clutch is lazy, it waits until you rev higher than usual to fully engage but I figure the accumulator leaking onto the switches has something to do with it, I'd love to dismantle the thing and see how it works but cilebertis do such fine work I only shed a single tear when I swipe the card now unlike my restoration projects, so all I have to do is pry myself out of the seat so they can work on it 😂

I'll post some interior pictures once I've cleaned up as it had taken such a beating over the years it'd only upset you to see it 😂 But as mentioned, if anyone is unsure about going for the 159 don't second guess, go drive one and put the smile back in your daily drive.

Citroënbender

Looks nice, what a bargain.

Are you leaving the tow eye in the front bumper (per your teaser photo the other day) for effect or has it been put away?

Craig_m67

TLDR:

Later model Alfa in better than earlier model Alfa shocker!! ^ :)

^although to be expected, given later model Alfa was always preferred/desired.  Next weeks episode includes; the GF decides the 159 is actually her car ('cos she's well fit#) and a good mate lets the original poster drive a Giulietta QV (in D with the reins off) just ruining Christmas for absolutely everybody ;)

Seriously ... drive a GQV, just for shits and giggles

#mine is, I'm sure yours is too
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Pseudonym

Hehe, don't tempt me, there are some very cheap ones getting around town - I wasn't taken with the interior and seats in the progression but the QV gets you there fast enough I imagine I wouldn't dwell on that. Problem would be I'd take it out and drive it hard, then tweak it and drive it harder, then something would break and my other machines would go hungry [emoji22]

Fortunately the gf can't see too well out of this one and hasn't wanted to give it a crack yet. I'll have to lure her into it with air fresheners and Gelato then sneak off to the dealership and - wait... goddammit [emoji23]

If I were any good at talking in real life I'd do a video for all the people at home who've wondered how the 156 & 159 compare, because the term "better" is somewhat subjective. They're different, I would say they're better at different things than the other, neither is as raw as the GTV6 or 33 but neither is as clinical (some would say sterile) as a German or Jap equivalent.

In any case I'm very happy I've saved it from further life with children [emoji28]

Trigger warning - images of Alfa abuse follow.

Sent from my HTC 2PS5200 using Tapatalk

Pseudonym

Pseudonym

There was at least 8 hours of this going on...

Sent from my T04 using Tapatalk

Pseudonym

The first of many repairs

Sent from my HTC 2PS5200 using Tapatalk

Citroënbender

Craig_m67

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Citroënbender

Careful while they're waving the ban-stick around.  :P

Frère Pseud was 80% of the way to getting the carpet and underlay out, makes detailing even more thorough...

Pseudonym

Hehe, yeah I think they had soft touch coatings. Well they used to be soft touch [emoji13]

Much vacuum and scrubbing later and car resembles an interior again - next job, accumulator leak [emoji108]

poohbah

QuoteI've saved it from further life with children

I ferried some colleagues up country in the 156 the other day, and they gushed over how new, neat and tidy my interior is despite being 19yo.

"Of course it is. I'm the only person who ever goes in it..."

Truth be told, it was only about the third time anyone has travelled in the back seat since I bought it nearly three years ago.

And one of the advantages of no cup-holders - soft drinks, iced coffees, choc milks have no reason to be admitted...
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Pseudonym

As usual, the Alfa gods have heard my pleasure at nothing breaking and this morning it ate it's coolant and spewed burnt plastic smell out of the air con [emoji23]

Fun times.

bazzbazz

Reminds me of that brilliant movie title - "Robin Hood - Men in Tights - The legend had it coming!"

One could resurrect that to - "The Faultless Alfa Romeo - The owner had it coming!"    ::)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au