Alfa 147 broken timing belt

Started by Deet, November 15, 2018, 05:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deet

My daughter's 2002 147 2.0 twinspark has just broken the timing belt
Looking for some advice

Do we get it fixed?
A recommendation for a local repairer
I am guessing valves will be bent etc so this won't be cheap, any idea of a price to fix?
The car is in otherwise good nic, and she really loves the car. So would rather try and get it fixed if possible

Is there any point trying to find a motor out of a wreck? Or at least a head?

poohbah

Some scurrilous types would suggest you push it into a river, claim the insurance as a write-off and buy another one...

But that would be very naughty.

But before you do anything get the motor checked out to see if it has done any real damage. I had a Nissan Vector (remember them...) with an interference motor which broke a timing belt about 20 years ago. Nothing was damaged. Fitted a new belt and she was fine.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Citroënbender

Quick and dirty fix is a $600 used motor plus a day in the workshop; out/in/seeyalater.

Fussy fix is new big end shells, valves, full head service. And "while you're at it" other service items reflecting overall powertrain condition.

Deet

I would go the second hand motor option if I could find one

Anyone suggest where I should go looking around Adelaide?

Craig_m67

Don't forget that you WILL change the belts, pump, tensionsers, idlers etc on an unknown replacement motor so you don't end up in the same position next week. Don't forget to factor that into the costs.

Rebuild isn't 'that' expensive if you are handy with the tools. Labor is always the make or break in a rebuild.

If you go replacement motor make sure you get the right one, there are some differences. Best way is to note the engine type number (as opposed to the engine serial number). It's on the body plate somewhere
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Deet

I bought the wreck linked to above and will do belts and water pump before it goes back in
I hope it is the same type. Too late to find out now. Our car is a 2002, the donor is a 2003, so I hope it isn't too different

bazzbazz

Are they both Manuals or both Selespeeds?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

You'll be fine.

Changes around that time: a different body computer, different ESP software/gyro sensor, different spigots on the fuel pump, deletion of a forward console lining pad, slight changes to tactile coatings on dash elements, half a turn lower coil springs front/rear.

Deet

I think I should be OK, and I do have the compete wreck, so can swop over ECU etc (assuming the loom is the same)

I am going to do a timing belt kit and waterpump while swapping motors

Best source for parts? Is it eBay? Anywhere local in ADL?

I can get the timing jigs online, and for about $40 don't mind the investment.

But where can I find any documentation on fitting the timing belt kit and more importantly torque settings for when I bolt it all back together?

Citroënbender

I'd suggest keeping the swappage to a minimum, obviously if a wear item on your donor is superior condition and easy to exchange you would take it.

You need something like a torrent download of the eLearn 147 manual. See these possibilities: https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=alfa+147+elearn&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2&_stpos=0872&_fcid=15

Exercise care to avoid the need for regassing your AC.

For mechanical parts, I've more recently used "Shop4Parts" (UK) although I note some local suppliers have sharpened their pencils in recent years. Arese Spares in particular seem quite economical but I have never purchased from them.

Tornado20

Quote from: Deet on November 19, 2018, 10:04:51 AM
Best source for parts? Is it eBay? Anywhere local in ADL?

I can highly recommend "The Spares Place" on Grote St, from personal experience I've found them to be helpful and very competitive on pricing.