GT Air Con only cold, passengers side

Started by liminal, November 14, 2018, 09:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liminal

Hey guys,

Been trying to fix this for a while, have the ELM USB coming from ebay, but could take a while .

This is what ive done so far;

Just tried the battery disconnect trick, didn't work, though I feel the passenger side is even more aircon-y now.

When I reconnected the battery I could hear two flaps moving. One behind the glove box (air intake from the cabin by the looks of it) and another that I cant seem to see.
Is this the heater articulation flap?

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...e-control.html (How to fix Climate control)

• Ive followed this guide but in the second installment, I cant find a gear drive box that looks anything like that on either side.
  • So I guess, does anyone have any diagrams of the heater/aircon mix flap area... or photos of what I need to look for? For a GT obviously, seems different from the older cars.
  • I was really hopping I could see a clear indication of if its closed or open (like the gearbox from the guide)?
  • Is there two flaps to the engine for heat, one for each side, what should I hear during calibration?

Thanks all, summer is coming and it gets bloody hot lol

Citroënbender

Try searching Fleabay UK for Alfa heater boxes, using a UK delivery postcode and set the search limits from default to worldwide. It'll often bring up pictures of stuff that you can screenshot or enlarge to see connector types, sensor locations etc.

bazzbazz

There are 3 motors -

1/ Air Intake/Recirculation Flaps
2/ Air Mixing Flaps (Controls air temp by mixing warm air with cold air)
3/ Air Distribution flaps (Controls where the air is directed too)

Getting cold air on the passenger side & ambient on drivers side is Sometimes caused by low gas in the A/C System.

To reset the Climate Control flap motors you need to do the following -
1/ Disconnect the battery for an hour
2/ Reconnect the battery
3/ Place the key in ignition and turn key to MAR (accessories)
4/ leave key on MAR for 90 seconds, during which the Climate control will run fan at low speed & at reset temp, you will also hear the flaps moving and working
5/ Start car, go for drive and see if there is any improvement.

If none, I suggest to get the A/c serviced and re-gassed, just make sure you follow the above re-set first.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

liminal

Quote from: bazzbazz on November 15, 2018, 02:14:19 AM
There are 3 motors -

1/ Air Intake/Recirculation Flaps
2/ Air Mixing Flaps (Controls air temp by mixing warm air with cold air)
3/ Air Distribution flaps (Controls where the air is directed too)

Getting cold air on the passenger side & ambient on drivers side is Sometimes caused by low gas in the A/C System.

To reset the Climate Control flap motors you need to do the following -
1/ Disconnect the battery for an hour
2/ Reconnect the battery
3/ Place the key in ignition and turn key to MAR (accessories)
4/ leave key on MAR for 90 seconds, during which the Climate control will run fan at low speed & at reset temp, you will also hear the flaps moving and working
5/ Start car, go for drive and see if there is any improvement.

If none, I suggest to get the A/c serviced and re-gassed, just make sure you follow the above re-set first.

Thanks so much for that. I have done the flap reset, but with the same result. I've also had the gas pressure tested as part of a bigger service a little while ago and was told its fine. So all points to a flap not working on the drivers side.

Though looking at the drivers side I cant seem to see the flap gear assembly as it appears on most other models where this issue seems common (156,147). If I could see it and get an idea if its closed or open, like you can do with the other models. Would be great.

I understand that I'm prob not going to be able to fix this myself. But If I can mitigate as much cost as I can of the discovery phase, that would be a great outcome.

bazzbazz

When you select heat do you get any hot air from the passenger side, or cold air still? Do you get heat from the drivers side?
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

liminal

I get heat from both sides ok.

Thats what makes me think that the heat/cool flap on the drivers side is stuck open. Or at least not shutting fully, the drivers side can get hot. But as far as cooling the best is tepid.

If that makes sense?

bazzbazz

And when cooling, on the passenger side, does it get COLD or just cool?

Also, as your car has "Dual Zone" A/C, you DO have the temp settings for both sides of the car at the same temp? (Sillier things HAVE happened)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

tshu82

I had this same issue with my previous GT, and all it needed was a regas. Hot air both sides, cold air predominantly coming from only passenger side.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

bazzbazz

Yep, That is a common situation for the model, but then again, I did already suggest that, maybe he didn't notice.  ::)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

Why would it be low on gas, though? I'd assume any relevant prior history would have been raised in the thread starter's posts (eg: "It's never been quite right after a minor front end repair")...

While I do think checking service efficiency (high and low side pressures plus cooling ability) is good practice, if it's low on refrigerant then far better to troubleshoot this than just top it up. I'm no apologist for the virtual ARC monopoly on car AC in Australia, but surely it's better for people to get durable repairs rather than a quick patch-up?

Citroënbender

As this pertains to portions of the now-redacted thread, a further note to my comments before.

The system pressure (absolute) can check out fine but if the variable displacement control valve is stuffed, pumping efficiency is greatly compromised. 

It's something not so readily addressed for two conjoined reasons - first the aforementioned virtual monopoly on R134A refrigerant gas within Australia, dissuading many competent yet officially unqualified people from resolving the issue, and secondly, the entrenched industry preference for new rather than rebuilt parts (as most people with an ARC endorsement are gas handling only, not compressor rebuilders) - so there is no sub industry for overhauling compressors when perhaps it mightn't be a bad thing.

Mr Liminal will be pleased to note, the receiver drier - which probably should be replaced if the system is opened and its original - is compatible with a $18 Camry item from Jayair.  Kind of reduces the butthurt that comes from buying genuine monopoly parts in the form of double o rings at ridiculous prices. It's well possible to have icy cold Alfa AC in a 147/GT, but the compressor needs to be pumping efficiently and airflow good (cf pollen filter change).