Alfa 90 transaxle cross member removal

Started by Dishy, November 11, 2018, 08:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dishy

Hello All,
       Thank you for any help provided. I am trying to remove the transaxle cross member on my Alfa 90 to get to the isostatic gear linkage. I have removed all the bolts and jacked up the axle to take the weight off the cross member but I still can't get enough space to remove the cross member. Any tips on how to get the cross member out?

Dishy

dehne

now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Dishy

I was hoping that wouldn't be the answer. Time to put the thinking cap on to work out how to support/lower the transaxle safely.

Dishy

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

LukeC

OMG! Transaxle nous is dying out... !  :(

I am assuming you are doing this at home on the ground? Set of axle stands, and a trolley jack and bottle jack possibly. Disconnect everything, Jack up DD at rear. Unbolt front GB mounts, Jack/pull down DD front, lift GB front, unbolt and out: access ISO... Easily done. Assuming nothing seized.... 1 hourish max to get the iso link out to play with.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

Dishy

Yep working at home off the ground with the car on axle stands. I have almost done it as LukeC describes. I have a trolley jack under the DD lifting till the car is just coming off the axle stands. I have a bottle jack under the clutch end of the gearbox holding it up. I have undone all the bolts in the cross member including the little ones that hold the iso. The cross member is loose to move around but the top of the A frame is too close to the body to get the cross member out.

LukeC. When you say "jack the front of the DD down" do you mean wedge a jack between the body and top of the A frame to get clearance to get the cross member out.?

Dishy