New member... looking for some tech advice

Started by Ash-916GTV, November 06, 2018, 07:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash-916GTV

Hey all
I was recommended this forum when trying to solve a problem i have with my Alfa.
I'm a first time alfa owner,  love the V6 GTV 916 so found myself a reasonable  ride  mid-year.
Due to other commitments  I've sadly not registered the car yet but it's back on the radar now.
Only problem is its just given me a problem - the ignition will only turn between the "lock" and the "park" positions and not beyond. So i can't start the car and neither can i move the key to "Mar" position to remove the barrel. I've tried the obvious and easy things - moving the wheel to prevent sticking of the steering lock, lube, a freshly cut key (off the one and only original i have), and graphite powder.
My next options are to remove the top of the column and take the whole assembly to a locksmith or find a mobile locksmith who knows their way around an alfa.
If anyone has any solutions, suggestions, contact details of a gun locksmith or mechanic in northern melbourne area al feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Also am i likely to run into problems with the ECU and code since i have no  master key? I've heard stories and I've also heard there is no issue, so please again pass on your knowledge, thanks.

Ash

Citroënbender

Has the "no start/run" key problem only just arisen, or did you buy it like that?

Ash-916GTV

No its only just arisen. The car has been perfect up til that.
I think a worn key and worn ignition switch are the causes

Citroënbender

If the car is otherwise secure, you might try removing the lock and cylinder assembly from the column, the shear bolts are usually easy to loosen with a prick punch. Cheapest fix then would be to gut the lock so any key turns it, and fit a concealed immobiliser. That way you continue to use your chipped key to register with the ECU and factory immobilisation and the fact of it not starting is further addressed by the hidden extra. You can probably order a "cut to code" ignition lock but it won't likely be cheap.