Main beams and left indicator

Started by NSharpley, October 30, 2018, 04:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NSharpley

After a long time in storage ... these do not work.

Fuses are good, globes tested fine ...

I am yet to get the multimetre onto the elements to see if I have power to the globes but ...

High beams work as do parkers so for the main beam issue I am disinclined to blame the switch.

The indicator though ... when activating the right indicator there is a definite click in the stalk, as it should be.

On activating the left there is no such click ... so I suspect the stalk has an issue.

Anyone want to suggest something else to look at?
Current Alfa:
1975 Alfetta GT 2.0 Race car
1979 Alfetta GTV (Resto)
1972 105 2000 GTV (Resto)
1987 Alfa 75 2.5

Past Alfas:
1982 Alfetta Sportiva (briefly in my possession. Restored and sold)
1989 Alfa 75 2.5
1982 Alfetta Sedan 2.0
1976 Alfetta GT

GTVeloce

The main beams could easily be the switch. I have had them burn out while the high beams still worked fine. Do you have relays on the headlights? It makes the switch last a lot longer. Quick test: under the steering column (just remove the lower part) you will see a few plugs. One will be the wires from the switch to the headlights, high beams and indicator. Sorry I can't remember which one but if you have a wiring diagram it should be easy to determine from the colours (I remember indicators are blue and blue/white). The other plugs are for ignition/start and the third is wipers.

Just see if you get any power at the plug while trying to operate all lights. If not, most likely your switch is shot. If you do then you need to look further.

Once you get everything working, and assuming you don't already, install relays on your ignition, starter and headlights. It will make everything better and last longer.

NSharpley

If it was the switch wouldnt the parkers, dash lights and tail lights all be affected?
Current Alfa:
1979 Alfetta GTV (Resto)
1987 Alfa 75 2.5

Past Alfas:
1989 Alfa 75 2.5
1982 Alfetta Sedan 2.0
1976 Alfetta GT

Citroënbender

It possibly has multiple current infeeds so that a supply failure doesn't take everything out. Have you got a schematic of the switch unit?

Also the aspect of a 30-year old switch introduces aged sliding/flexing contacts, physical wear and dried up grease. Stuff like this can be quite satisfying "k¡tchen bench overhaul" material (subject to household approval).

bonno

Hi NSharpley
Find Wiring diagrams for Alfetta GTV. I would start by checking for power backwards from main beams and work thru to fuses and then light switch (circled the components in question).
cheers
bonno 

NSharpley

The trusty Haynes manual ... thanks!!
Current Alfa:
1979 Alfetta GTV (Resto)
1987 Alfa 75 2.5

Past Alfas:
1989 Alfa 75 2.5
1982 Alfetta Sedan 2.0
1976 Alfetta GT

GTVeloce

QuoteIf it was the switch wouldnt the parkers, dash lights and tail lights all be affected?

No. The switch has four outputs (yellow, grey, grey/black and green) and one input (red). The yellow output feeds (via fuses 9 and 10) the parkers, tail lights, number plate lights etc. The grey and grey/black feeds your headlights (left and right via fuses 11 and 12). The green feeds (via fuses 13 and 14) your high beams. You could rule out the switch very easily by jumping from the red wire to the grey and/or grey/black. Just disconnect the plug under the column and use a bridging wire.

However, the only places where the two sides of the headlights are joined is at the switch so if both sides are not working it is a fair assumption that is where your problem exists. It is a common problem as the full current of the headlights runs through the switch which shortens its life and reduces the headlights into token candles on the front of your car. Adding relays makes the world of difference and once you get the switch working again (or replaced) then I would strongly recommend adding them.

The indicators are another whole ball game. There are so many different ways they could fail. Does the hazard lights work properly? If it does then the switch is looking very likely. If not then you will just have to start at one end with a wiring diagram and check your way through.

NSharpley

Thanks ... great detail.

Tried your suggestion and bridged power direct to the each of the four wires running the headlights, etc.

Still no main beams ... so I deducing that its not the switch.   

Will go back and recheck globes and all connections up front ...
Current Alfa:
1979 Alfetta GTV (Resto)
1987 Alfa 75 2.5

Past Alfas:
1989 Alfa 75 2.5
1982 Alfetta Sedan 2.0
1976 Alfetta GT

Citroënbender

If you've got H4 style connectors there are prefabricated relay kits for a song; yes you might also choose the $200+ Painless harness but then again you could make it yourself for much less.

GTVeloce

They come with H1 globes as standard.

Just had a thought. There is another place the headlights might be connected - the earth point. I can't remember exactly where they earth but it will be somewhere close the headlight on the inner fender. I am not certain but the two lights may join at the same connection point. Could be a simple solution after all! It is also possible the indicators also earth at the same point and hence causing your issue.

Relaying the headlights yourself would only cost a fraction of a kit. To do it you need two relays (with two 87 terminals on each), two relay holders and a small amount of wiring and connectors. You can feed the relays (terminal 30) from the junction box on the drivers side fender and earth  (terminal 85) nearby also (possibly the earth point I was referring to earlier). Take the feed wires from the plugs just before the headlights and use them to provide the input to the relay (terminal 86). Then new wires from the two terminal 87s to the headlight plugs (one will be a longer length of wire to get to passenger side. Do the exact same thing for the high beams at the same time. The wire feeding the relay (t30) and the wires going to the lights (t87) need to be decent thickness ideally (I use 4ga). The wire to t85 can be quite small and t86 is an existing wire which is also fine (assuming it isn't damaged).

The other thing I suggest once you have done this is to run new wires and terminals from the plug to the headlight including a new earth wire from the light to an earth point. The wire and terminals at this point always get dirty, are old and were too small to begin with plus have an earth wire too long so the ensures they operate as well as they can.

NSharpley

Thanks again ... excellent advice!

A note to all ... the main beam issue has been resolve.  Broken connector on the passenger side ... that simple!

Will replace that then do the relays.

Thanks to all for the assist.

Indicator issue also semi-resolved.   Its not the switch, its something else ... I have them working but I'm fairly sure the wiring bypass I did isnt ok ... will sort that out later.

Current Alfa:
1979 Alfetta GTV (Resto)
1987 Alfa 75 2.5

Past Alfas:
1989 Alfa 75 2.5
1982 Alfetta Sedan 2.0
1976 Alfetta GT

NSharpley

Slight reversal on previous statement.

Left indicator still not working at all but I can confirm it is not the switch.
Current Alfa:
1979 Alfetta GTV (Resto)
1987 Alfa 75 2.5

Past Alfas:
1989 Alfa 75 2.5
1982 Alfetta Sedan 2.0
1976 Alfetta GT

GTVeloce

If the whole left side isn't working it is most likely an issue with the wiring. If it is just one bulb not working it is either the bulb, a dirty bulb holder or the plug going to that bulb. Have you checked the wiring going to the hazard switch? Both sides come out of there and maybe one wire has come loose or is shorting.

bonno

As per GTVeloce comment regarding hazard switch wiring. Does it work when activated, ie; front and rear blinkers come on. If so then this eliminates problem with associated wiring or hazard switch.   

NSharpley

Ok, heres the thing ...... no hazard light switch.

I did have a solid look at the wiring diagram and I can see that the indicator wiring does all go through the hazard switch ...

But, no hazard switch.

Current Alfa:
1979 Alfetta GTV (Resto)
1987 Alfa 75 2.5

Past Alfas:
1989 Alfa 75 2.5
1982 Alfetta Sedan 2.0
1976 Alfetta GT