156 selespeed

Started by 75guygtvgirl, October 28, 2018, 04:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

75guygtvgirl

Just wondering if the selespeed is any less problematic once it's had the hydraulic selector repaired? Or are they just not worth the risk?

Pseudonym

My local shop knows them well, they rebuilt them often without issues but bear in mind that the pump and the accumulator also have their own life expectancy. They aren't hugely expensive components but for the value of the cars people usually just buy something else. Got my 05 JTS at 100,000 and have put another ten on it without issue, so don't think they're live grenades or anything but good service history helps them out. I've heard of the occasional clutch hydraulic issue on the manuals but par for the course at these ages.

Sent from my T04 using Tapatalk

75guygtvgirl

Yeah cool thank you. I just have the opportunity to purchase one at a very good price with a rebuilt engine

Citroënbender

Replace the accumulator if it's unknown age or >3 years old.

How soon are you possibly nabbing it?

75guygtvgirl

Assuming the price is right and all the receipts add up I'll probably grab on the weekend

Citroënbender

How did you go? Any good or walk away?

75guygtvgirl

The car has a rebuilt engine with receipts so I'm going to grab it to put in my twin spark manual which has a blown head gasket

Citroënbender

I bet it's just a stuffed accumulator. People simply fail to understand the relevance of this item.

75guygtvgirl

Yeah apparently it only needs a computer reset after having had some repairs to the selespeed. The body and interior aren't the best so I'll just put the engine into mine

Citroënbender

I'd suggest replacing the blind plugs of the balance shafts if they weren't done in the rebuild. One is impossible to access after the gearbox is fitted. They never leak badly but develop an annoying weep.

75guygtvgirl

Ok cool I'll look into that. The rebuild it had was quite expensive including pistons and rods

Citroënbender

Not just rod bearings? They're commonly replaced if people bust a timing belt...

75guygtvgirl

Yes sorry it was just rod bearings