Poor Sandown

Started by Neil Choi, October 27, 2018, 05:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aggie57

Yep, lots of good times had there.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

As the day goes

kaleuclint

Following the fate of Calder and so many other circuits worldwide that become far more valuable as development sites.

Reality is that Sandown is primarily a thoroughbred racing venue and it's not a particularly attractive one in regard to the member experience compared to Caulfield.  I've never attended a turf meeting there and I know many MRC members feel the same way.  Mornington is the future 'satellite' racecourse for the MRC, and Pakenham and Cranbourne racecourses are now effectively suburban venues as is Werribee.

In the late 1950s the plan was for Monash University's main campus to be built on the site of the Caulfield Racecourse, and ironically today much of the University is alongside.  Building this on a rail junction would obviously be preferable to having it at Clayton where it still has no rail/tram connection.  Sandown would have replaced Caulfield.

So we'll all be looking at a two hour haul to Winton or the Island??
2011 159ti 1750TBi

sportiva

I was here

ItalCarGuy

Yes, Lakeside up here in Queensland is having troubles at the moment as well...  :(