Heater Tap/Valve - ALfetta 1.8 Sedan

Started by RLeT, October 25, 2018, 12:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLeT

Hello Fellow Alfisti,

I have a leak in the heater of my 1977 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan, and I'm getting coolant on the floor on the driver's side of the cabin.  I believe it's most likely the tap or valve that's the cause.  I have a couple of questions:
1. How much dash disassembly is required to get the valve out and back in?
2. I believe there is a specific way to repair it.  Does anyone have any tips?  I have an impeccable source of information, but he has a heavy workload at present, and I'm keen to get to this before my holidays finish.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Richard.
Richard.

bonno

Hi Richard
Find below a link to this forum containing a Power Point presentation involving Alfetta GTV split dash removal. Even though it is not specific to the Alfetta sedan, it will give you an idea of how it is done. However may I suggest that before going down this path, just confirm it is not just a simple fix and it is not leaking at the hose connection/split hose (save you a lot of time and effort). Another option to be considered is to bypass the heater coil. Depending on what course of action is to be taken, if the heater tap/ coil is leaking and you need it to be back working as intended, then you will need to have it removed and refurbished/renewed accordingly.
https://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=16856.15

pafiat

I had a similar issue with the heater tap on my 84 Giulietta. The big problem was that I could not source a replacement tap from any of the usual vendors so before doing anything make sure you find one or something that will do the job. Maybe someone on this forum can suggest something. I ended up using one from an E Type Jag after some advice I read on the Internet so it must be correct! Turns out it was useable with much fettling but not a simple job. The mounting holes had to be considerably slotted and very non standard O rings used. On  a Giulietta the tap can be replaced without demolishing the dash (just) but you will need plenty of determination and no small children around to hear the swearing.

GTVeloce

I have managed to rebuild a heater box without removing the dash on an Alfetta GTV but it wasn't easy from an accessibility point of view. That said, the dash isn't too hard to take off, especially compared to a 75 dash...and you will do a better job with the dash off. You will find all manner of stuff living in the box. Plus you can replace all seals, lubricate the fan etc. I also put heat insulation (I use dynaliner but anything similar is fine) on the firewall behind the dash as the early cars didn't have anything and it gets very hot back there.

Never had to repair a tap so can't help you there but accessing it is pretty straight forward. Does the car have AC? I doubt it but if it does you will need to have the refrigerant captured before you can disconnect the pipes.

RLeT

Many thanks to everyone for the input.  As always, it's greatly appreciated.

I'll let you know how I go.  It seems finding a new tap is just ONE of the tricky bits to resolving this one.

Richard.
Richard.