Pressure in GTV6 Fuel Tank

Started by shane wescott, October 12, 2008, 02:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shane wescott

Hi Guys

Question on fuel tank pressure. sometimes I open the cap and there is significant pressure in there, as in the cap nearly flies out of your hand. Other times there is no pressure at all.

It doesnt seem to be linked to hot days, low fuel high fuel etc. 

I am assuming that on the times when there is no pressure maybe the cap is not on as tight as it could be.

Question: is pressure in the tank part of the fuel injection system, do you need the pressure there to help the car get the fuel through, is it part of how things work.

Just after some info.

Thanks in advance Guys.
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

dehne

hi there i have the same thing with my 90 mine does it on hot days, low fuel and when ever it feels like has been doing this for 5 years i just gave up caring as it did not effect anything i would not stress about it anyway, good luck
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

greengtv8

High pressure isn't part of fuel injection. The tank breather will be blocked. The down sides to this is, long term, the tank may split(as pressure goes up and down, the tank slightly expands and then back to normal. But over years). Also with extream high pressure in the system, may run slightly richer...but not to common.
     General run down of the system and set up is,
          The tank has two breathers, the large one is usually near the filler neck of the tank and goes to the fuel cap. This one is to let the air out when filling up.
           The second, and usually the smaller one, goes to a carbon canister(or sometimes, depending on car, to a fuel/vapour seporater first, then carbon canister). The carbon canister filters the fuel vapour from the fuel tank, and then through a small solenoid valve, dumps the vapour into the inlet manifold to be burnt in the engine. This valve opens(depending on manufacturer) when eg, brake is applied, or on start up, ect.
     This set up is an ADR requirment for all fuel injected cars in order to meet emission related ADR's
           Also, if this system is working right...you shouldn't get any fuel smells in your car...
Little green Alfetta gtv 1982
Fitted with:
Lexus V8 4Ltr
Supra w58 g/box
LS400 IRS rear susp.& 8 1/2' diff
Coil over's all round
Nissan R32 Front brakes
Peddle box,balance bar & adj.bias valve's
9 point roll cage(inc. engine bay)
Custom Extractors & exhaust
Custom body kit & under tray

Sheldon McIntosh

Where does this second breather run from/to in a GTV6, and /or 90/75?

Al Campbell

There are several fuel system versions (for the GTV6 and 75) in the manual on the website "Craigs place":

http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/

Look in group_04_fuel_system.zip

Page 4-86/2 "Exhaust Emission Control System (Australia only)" shows a line going from the oil vapour separator on the engine to a "vapour separating tank "on the top of the fuel tank. There is a "fuel vapour venting valve" in this line near the tank. This is a 1985 manual, so it may not be what you have in an earlier car.

Page 4-80/1 shows a system as described by greengtv8, with a filler venting hose and a venting hose from the vapour tank, with a "tank venting inertia valve (except Australia version)".

- Neither diagram show where the vents exit the car. But it looks like the "fuel vapour venting valve" is on the driver's side at the rear of the car. The two hoses on page 4-80/1 both look like the exit near the fuel cap, under the car.

I had the smell of fuel in the car on Sunday (a bit warm), so I'll have a crack at finding the vents on my '84 GTV6.

greengtv8

pretty sure the small breather is on top of the tank...in the middle near the fuel level sender.
Little green Alfetta gtv 1982
Fitted with:
Lexus V8 4Ltr
Supra w58 g/box
LS400 IRS rear susp.& 8 1/2' diff
Coil over's all round
Nissan R32 Front brakes
Peddle box,balance bar & adj.bias valve's
9 point roll cage(inc. engine bay)
Custom Extractors & exhaust
Custom body kit & under tray

Al Campbell

I was going to start looking there.

It may very well vent into the boot, which would explain the smell in the car. Something to look at.

I have read somewhere that the return line from the oil-vapour seperator is a hard plastic tube that is run inside the cabin, under the carpets.

AL.

shane wescott

Excellent info guys. I will hunt it down and see what I can find out.

I have experienced petrol fumes in the car but that has been from either spilled fuel and coming in the triangle window near the fuel filler or maybe from loose cap and venting through to the same window.

once again thanks for the info Guys.

I will let you know how I go.

Catc ya

Shane
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI