105 Series Sump Width

Started by Vne165, October 22, 2018, 12:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vne165

Can someone please advise the width of a 105 series sump. I'm designing a factory engine stand for my 2L Alfetta engine, but figure I should make it wide enough for someone else to use on a 105 engine later on. Thanks in advance, Vne

giulia_veloce

Sump is 45 cm wide
I made my stand 50 cm wide on the inside where the sump is.

I also use a dummy gearbox case to support the rear

Total width is 60 cm
Total length is 138 cm

Its on wheels

Vne165

Thanks GV, will post a pic of design in due course.
Cheers Vne

Vne165

Engine stand fabrication...progress shots. I made it 550mm between the support stanchions

Citroƫnbender

Nice stand, nice floor, nice welds.

Vne165

Thanks CB...
Only tacked in a few spots but should come up well. Need to design a locking plate for it next.
Cheers
Vne

DADSGIULIA

SO you use the engine support to bolt the motor to??!!

Vne165

Yes, that's the idea, engine mounts either side of the block are used. It's actually an original Alfa factory method and leaves the flywheel free for access. Motor can be turned through 360 deg as well.

I've progressed a little more since this pics, picked up some 1.375" tubing to fit the bearings and have plasma cut a set of brackets to be welded. Will post some more pics soon.
Vne

Vne165

Slow progress on the hi-dollar engine stand due to other priority jobs (Formula Ford race car rebuild for a friend)... locking plate now done.
Next steps are the locking plunger assembly and engine mount brackets. Contemplating some removable tool/parts trays that might slot onto the side legs of the stand.
Handy for keeping things organised.

Vne165

More progress for anyone interested. Made the assumption that the engine mounts were symmetrical about the crankshaft centre line, which of course they are not. So the exhaust side mounting bracket will need to be extended to get everything parallel, otherwise the locking plate will describe and arc. The whole thing turns beautifully anyway, with the engine remarkably well balanced. Happy New Year to all. Vne.

aggie57

Looks fancy. Mine was much simpler. One vertical on each side, no bearings just one tube piece inside another slight larger one. It handled nord 4 cylinders and V6 engines happily enough.

My experience was you only really need two positions, one with the engine horizontal and the other on it's end. Either front down or back down. So I started with a a screw lock on one side, but ended up drilling a couple of small holes that I could run a pin through. It's really well balanced as you say on those side mounts only.

Sheldon - can I have it back, now please?!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list