Twin spark turbo

Started by 75guygtvgirl, October 17, 2018, 10:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

Cheapest way to get an extra 30KW would be to swap your car for a 2.5L V6 model.  :D

(But I have a vague recollection we may have discussed this before...?)
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

75guygtvgirl

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

75guygtvgirl

I haven't researched that but I can only imagine the cost and the issues that would arise

Citroënbender

Quote from: "poohbah"
Cheapest way to get an extra 30KW would be to swap your car for a 2.5L V6 model.
The cheapest way is to simply lie about the power output by +30kW. Work up a really convincing spiel, practice it on friends to start with and then you'll be able to dupe complete strangers.

75guygtvgirl

I'm just so confused because I'm not sure if it's even worth it. Maybe I should be throwing the 4-6k at the v6 🤷🏻‍♂️🤔

Citroënbender

I suggest an incomplete set of principles to look at:

1. Only destruction gets cheaper if you put it off.
2. Nothing you do to a 156 is likely to add significant value.
3. Some things if done to a 156 may significantly reduce its value.
4. What will Shannons say (WWSS)?
5. Will your input actually make you enjoy the car more?
6. Can you really afford it, or is a big shed smarter spending?
7. Do you have free space, the time and patience if you're realistic about such projects?

Colin Edwards

An alternative worth considering is developing the car without increasing engine output.

Given the FWD arangement, any weight reduction in the front half of the car will be a bonus. 
Lithium battery? do you need aircon?, carbon fibre bonnet? properly engineered aluminium front bumper supports, titanium fixings..........!
All the above could cost less than a reliable and drivable turbo install.  Throw in a set of high spec tires that provide grip AND reduced rolling resistance and could end up with a 10% quicker car that will cost less to run!
Serious weight reduction is a challenge, but however can be realitively inexpensive.  Just need to take a long hard look at the car!!
Look for tires with a high EC 1222/2009 rating.  "A" rated tires are the most efficient.  I fitted A rated tires to my 159 3.2 and easily resulted in a 5% reduction in fuel consumption.  If the car is 5% more efficient, it can do 5% more work for the same input.  Thats the same as a 5% increase in power!!
I dont know much about 156's.  Can the cold air intake be improved?  How much does under-bonnet heat impact on air entering the engine?  Can heat reflective tape be fitted to the inlet tract?  You can increase intake charge density without resorting to forced induction.
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

poohbah

If you've got two 156s, you won't need rear seats in the TS - that'll save a few kilos. AC is useless at the best of times, so dump the compressor - there's another few kg.

Actually - go and have a read of some posts from last year - a member in SA (I think) has modified his TS so its also track-able, but still road legal and still fucntional as a daily driver.
            1981 GTV

75guygtvgirl

Actually that's a great idea! I'd love to have it looking a bit like a street/track car. As for tyres I recently fitted pilot sport 4s to the v6 and I can't fault them at all!

johnl

Years ago I decided to have a proper go at cutting the rust from my old Alfetta sedan (1.8L). Stripped it out to find all the rot, and ended up with only a drivers seat, no windscreen or rear window, no doors, no bonnet, no boot lid, no spare, no carpet, nothing much more than the body shell with suspension, brakes, steering and driveline still attached. Of course the fatal extent of the rust became horrendously obvious, and I abandoned the idea...

But, with all that weight stripped out, it was much quicker in a straight line (on a private road of course).

In the end I swapped the cars' corpse (for accommodation during a kart racing state championship) to someone who was intending to build a hot-rod using the Alfetta's mechanicals. I wonder if he ever did...

Regards,
John.

poohbah

Found the link to the 156 track car posts:

www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=15304.msg89218#msg89218

If you search "formula 98" should also come up with more detailed info.
            1981 GTV

Citroënbender

Quote from: 75guygtvgirl on October 17, 2018, 04:50:33 PM
No both ours are fantasia blue. We have a twin spark manual and a v6 auto

If that was your V6 156 I heard/saw last Friday evening, it's got a wonderful sounding exhaust.

julianB

Turbo the TS.
You'll have way more grunt than a V6, even at 15 psi.

Yeah, 10:1 is on the high side for 15 psi but if you have an aftermarket ECU you'll be able to figure out the sweet spot (ie. start at 6 psi and add boost- if you're pulling timing out at full load so you can increase boost, you're chasing your tail and won't make any real gains).
It will make for a Torque monster with good top end, it just won't sing like a 6!

I'd say to do a budget job, you'd be able to find a second hand internal eastegate GT28 off an S15 for a few hundred.
Exhaust manifold and dump pipe fabricated. You could even keep the stock exhaust to save some bucks but it won't help your cause at all! Cheap exhaust manifold about $800
Intercooler and piping- $2k
Upgrade fuel pump $500
Rising rate fuel regulator $400
ECU, wired and tuned $3k
If you run out of fuel (lean AFR) when it's on boost, upgrade injectors.
Don't rev it harder than stock and the rods should take it.
I'm not saying it will last 200k kms but at the end of the day, i can't really see any four cylinder Alfas after the Alfetta ever being worth anything near what a V6 equivalent is, so have some fun with the four banger and chop yourself a few jap cars on the way👍🏽
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
AHM ITB setup, Jim K manifolds & 10.3 cams, M84
17" Work Meister S1R
330mm Brembo front, vented rears
RS coilovers and bits
Recaro LX mesh headrest buckets

'68 step nose Junior "Romeo"
bare metal project

75guygtvgirl

Yeah that would be my v6. Just had exhaust and new stereo fitted. I've just bought a twin spark selespeed with a stuffed gearbox but rebuilt engine with receipts. I'll put that straight in my twin spark manual 🙂