Hello from Sydney

Started by mattav, October 15, 2018, 03:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattav

Hi All,

Stumbled across this site after some googling, I don't currently own an Alfa but have always loved the last of the 159 TBi Ti's!

I'm considering getting a weekender / convertible & have always liked the idea of the V6 in the Spiders (early 2000's), not being able to find a great deal out about them though. I had an original '89 MX-5 quite a few years back as a weekender & want to get back into something (very different cars I know) for weekend drives.

If anyone has any tips or advice it'd be appreciated.

There's a couple on carsales currently with largely varied pricing I might look into.

Cheers,
Matt

bonno

Hi Matt
Welcome aboard and hope you find the Alfa Romeo your looking for in the not too distant future. My advice is try to get one that has been looked after and preferably with a good service history. Have the car checked out for signs of accident damage, drives and accelerates well (no hesitation, misfire or crunching of gears) and no warning lights staying on. There are good checklist available and can be found on this forum or google search.  Finally, as you are from Sydney you might want to check out AROCA NSW website or facebook page to keep abreast with club activities and events that are held. Links are as follows
AROCA NSW website
http://www.alfaclubnsw.org.au/
AROCA NSW facebook
https://www.facebook.com/arocansw/

Cheers
bonno

mattav

Hey bonno,

Thanks heaps for the reply & tips!

I'll check out the NSW club :)

poohbah

Hi Matt, and welcome from the far-flung west.

+1 for everything Bonno says, and assuming you mean a 916 series V6 Spider (ie not the later Brera-based version), then service history is vital. Critical to know when cambelt and water pump were changed (every 60,000km or 3 years, whichever comes first, or catastrophic damage could be lurking around the corner).

It's not scary job but it isn't cheap - circa $1500 - and you should get the water pump changed at same time. So If you find one that is due for a change but otherwise all good, use that as a bargaining chip on the price - and then get it trucked straight to a workshop and have it done before you drive it home (if it fails on test drive - not your problem :D).

Front end suspension on the V6s also get a beating from the extra weight, especially the lower control arms - you'll know if they are due for a change if it really crashes over bumps/potholes - but that's only a few hundred bucks.

I've never owned a spider, but I assume checking the roof isn't split and doesn't leak would be a pretty important feature, and that there isn't any rust in/around the roof storage well. That said the 916/932 series cars are pretty good when it comes to corrosion - I've had two 156s and both have been rust free (my current one is 19yo).

And check that the cooling system is all hunky dory - including thermostat. Should sit spot on 90C when up to temp after 5 mins. If its staying under that while driving then thermostat will be stuck open. Costs bugger all to change but apparently kills the cats if left unfixed.

And just as a general observation: AC in these cars is crap, even when working properly.

But you'll love the Busso V6. Best sounding engine with less than 8 cylinders.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

mattav

Hello poohbah, thank you so much for your detailed reply.

100% will be looking for one with all service history & work carried out especially the water pump. I've read the front is heavy with the V6 & no doubt the suspension up front will be tired if original, abit like the V6 R32 Golfs, they suffered the same thing.

Air con isn't a deal breaker as it won't be my every day car but good to know it's rubbish!

I'd love to find a clean Silver 916 (early 2000's?), I remember as a teenager my neighbour had a V6 spider, it sounded incredible.

poohbah

Good luck with the hunt Matt.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)