Buying advice for 156 GTA

Started by alfage, October 14, 2018, 05:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfage

Hi guys

I'm a huge Alfa fan and am looking to finally get back into one.

I've always loved the 156 GTA and I'm now in a position to look more closely into owning a nice example.

So I'm calling on all alfitsi and those with knowledge or experience on this particular model.

Should there be any known faults or things to look out for during inspection or whilst researching?

Are there different model variants that have alternate features?

Any hints, tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

105greg

Quote from: alfage on October 14, 2018, 05:26:09 PM
Hi guys

I'm a huge Alfa fan and am looking to finally get back into one.

I've always loved the 156 GTA and I'm now in a position to look more closely into owning a nice example.

So I'm calling on all alfitsi and those with knowledge or experience on this particular model.

Should there be any known faults or things to look out for during inspection or whilst researching?

Are there different model variants that have alternate features?

Any hints, tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Have one for sale.   On forum going cheap.  Call me 0499 009 893. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kay_147_GTA

- Make sure you get one with Q2 / Quaiffe diff already fitted, standard diffs are prone to going bang without warning and will involve a gearbox rebuild (it's going to cost me ~$3500 to have one fitted with new clutch)
- Due to all the weight on the front end the front suspension bushings can be prone to wearing and will result in clunking noises, these are fairly easy to fix
- Cambelt changes are expensive so it's good to find one that's been done recently, they should upgrade the plastic water pump impeller to a metal one when they do this as well as they are prone to disintegrating.
- There are several common interior issues, all of which are fairly easy to fix and have been discussed to death on the forums

If you have any other questions feel free to drop me a message and I'll be happy to share what I know
2005 147 GTA Monza (96 of 100)

alfage

Quote from: Kay_147_GTA on October 22, 2018, 02:25:37 PM
- Make sure you get one with Q2 / Quaiffe diff already fitted, standard diffs are prone to going bang without warning and will involve a gearbox rebuild (it's going to cost me ~$3500 to have one fitted with new clutch)
- Due to all the weight on the front end the front suspension bushings can be prone to wearing and will result in clunking noises, these are fairly easy to fix
- Cambelt changes are expensive so it's good to find one that's been done recently, they should upgrade the plastic water pump impeller to a metal one when they do this as well as they are prone to disintegrating.
- There are several common interior issues, all of which are fairly easy to fix and have been discussed to death on the forums

If you have any other questions feel free to drop me a message and I'll be happy to share what I know

Just the info I was looking for!

Thanks so much.

I didn't realise a Quaiffe diff was used, guess that explains the meaning of 'Q2'.

What's the best way to identify if it's a Q2?

Would it be listed as 156 GTA Q2?

Citroƫnbender

You can use Eper to access the factory parts details as built, for retrofitted diffs it's not so easy. You're mostly going to have to make a judgement call on the seller's claim.

With some diff ID situations, you can pull a driveshaft to inspect the splined bore into the diff - if there is a known visual difference between the Quaife and the standard diff. This is not super straightforward but a decent compromise when possible.

alfage

That's heaps for that.

If I'm looking on Carsales should I be able to see if it's a Q2 model?

Just wondering if there was a series or year manufacture date that can easily be identified as a Q2.

I couldn't seem to see anything in the model specs, but maybe I'm either looking in the wrong place or there are currently none listed for sale.

bazzbazz

Ahh, I may be wrong here (and feel free to correct me anyone) but arn't Q2 diffs on 156 GTAs all aftermarket installations, none came factory fitted.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

105greg

My GTA.  Still for sale and yes it does have the Diff.     Definitely worth an inspection as priced to sell. 

Tornado20

Quote from: 105greg on October 24, 2018, 05:15:52 PM
My GTA.  Still for sale and yes it does have the Diff.     Definitely worth an inspection as priced to sell. 

Got any pics, what's the selling price ?

105greg

Quote from: Tornado20 on November 08, 2018, 09:53:24 PM

Got any pics, what's the selling price ?
It's on car sales.    I have a deposit down of $1000 from someone I have never spoken to.     It's all a bit odd but have deposit so I will see how it goes.    Selling unregistered and buyer is paying transport to Melbourne.    Still a bargain.  I now have two people on car and rightly so.  Will let you know if it falls through.  Regards.

bazzbazz

So, did it sell to Melbourne, or did you just end up with a $1000 early xmas bonus?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

105greg

Still have the $1000 bonus hoping to get balance this week.

alfage

Mate if you were located in NSW I'd definitely consider it.

Just saw it listed on Carsales, looks like a great buy with all servicing maintained and my favourite black on black colour combo.

Kay_147_GTA

Quote from: bazzbazz on October 24, 2018, 12:25:38 PM
Ahh, I may be wrong here (and feel free to correct me anyone) but arn't Q2 diffs on 156 GTAs all aftermarket installations, none came factory fitted.

Correct, none were factory fitted so there's no 'Q2 Model'.

Q2 = Alfa Limited Slip Diff
Quaiffe = Aftermarket Limited Slip Diff

Lots of discussion about these, most seem to think the Quaiffe is the better option but if you find one with a Q2 already fitted I wouldn't worry about swapping.

Still saving up to get mine fitted and do the clutch at the same time  :(
2005 147 GTA Monza (96 of 100)