916 GTV Ph2 Valet Key doesn't fit in door locks :/

Started by ugame, October 29, 2018, 02:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugame

So I went to move my sons car out of my way on the weekend, only to find that that valet key provided with the car doesn't fit in the door locks :/

On the same keyring I have the brown master key which DOES fit, so I used that to open the door.

Once in the car, I used the valet key, and it DID fit in the ignition, and it started the car :/

Odd? Normal? A sign it's been swapped out at some point?

I'll have to try it in the ignition again with the master key out of range to deduce if the transponder does in fact work, or if it was just picking up the master.
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.

Pseudonym

Maybe normal so the valet can't open private compartments or get into the car unless you've given them the unlocked car?

Sent from my HTC 2PS5200 using Tapatalk

ugame

Quote from: Pseudonym on October 30, 2018, 04:46:36 AM
Maybe normal so the valet can't open private compartments or get into the car unless you've given them the unlocked car?

Sent from my HTC 2PS5200 using Tapatalk

I'd wondered this, but then they also can't lock the car to secure it, or unlock it to retrieve it for it's owner.

Locked out of boot/glove box makes sense.

Locked out of the car itself? ....I'm not so sure. Unless the assumption is that valets have very secure car parks lol.
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS

Citroënbender

Are your door locks just worn?

Compare the keys, the bits which look the same should measure the same with calipers. The differences between a valet key and regular key should be apparent side-by-side.

Many modern door locks are made with the presumption that you'll mostly use the remote and therefore they are of limited durability when people get stubborn about a faulty or lost fob.

ugame

Quote from: Citroënbender on October 30, 2018, 12:37:40 PM
Are your door locks just worn?

Compare the keys, the bits which look the same should measure the same with calipers. The differences between a valet key and regular key should be apparent side-by-side.

Many modern door locks are made with the presumption that you'll mostly use the remote and therefore they are of limited durability when people get stubborn about a faulty or lost fob.

I'll compare keys.

Door locks work fine with the normal keys and the master key.

The valet key will only insert half way, in either door.  But works fine in the ignition. Which is why I wondered if this was "by design".

Very odd.

Historically with this car, as only one remote worked, my wife had always used door lock with her key, from the normal keys.