Best Alfa long distance cruiser under $10k

Started by hammer, April 30, 2018, 08:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darryl

Air-conditioning for the Giulietta. And some decent seats.

Failing that,
I'd second the 159 suggestion over the 166. If it was a decent highway might go the other way but 159 suspension is vastly superior if it's a potholed goat track..

Also, the 159 has ridiculous levels of rigidity and will be newer. So better chance of finding one without rattles and squeaks.

But if you want to make an offer well under your budget on the 166... Which has newish bilsteins and stiffer but not lowered springs (cos stiffer and decent damping == less crashing to stops driving to the shops)... feel free...

159 not for sale (well not for your budget).

hammer

Thanks Darryl. I read some of your older posts about your 166. I think was was romanticising about those big comfy seats at a bargain basement price. I'll drive a couple of 159s but at the moment I'm leaning toward spending some money on the old Giulietta. I'll see how things pan out over the next six months.

Cheers,

Brent

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

GTVeloce

If you want something with a bit more character how about a 75? You could get an excellent example for that sort of money and they are very comfortable (provided the suspension hasn't been messed with too much), frugal (if you get a TS) and has creature comforts like AC. They are also a great handler and RWD. I drove mine half way around the world and its still going strong!

The are slowly starting to become an appreciating classic and whilst not worth much yet I believe they will start to see a steady rise in the next few years so you could also convince the wife it is an 'investment'...

Finally, you can actually leave it outside over winter and it won't be reduced to rust by the end of it.

hammer

GTVeloce,

I agree on the 75s. Just a matter of finding a good one for reasonable money. Everyone seems to think they're worth a fortune now. I had a 3 litre back in the 90s and a twinnie through the 2000s. Drove the twinspark as a road car then raced it for a few years before buying Jim Nielsen's old Giulietta race car. I'll keep my eye on the market over the next 6 months and see what pops up. There's a lovely 3 litre for sale up here at the moment, but the owner is asking $14,500. Thanks for the input.

Cheers,

Brent

kaleuclint

Quote from: bazzbazz on May 02, 2018, 11:32:08 PM
You really think he'll drop over $7000 off the price?  :o
Baz, that'd be the difference between the seller's price and a reasonable, realistic offer -- the latter is what really matters, and is reflected by one of the world's most massively depreciated cars setting a similar record for weeks advertised.

Of course if you really don't want to sell your 166 but need to appease a significant other or another party, then it's the way to go!

I'm actually interested in this car, but I know what my Alfa is really worth too.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

poohbah

Purely for the sake of discussion - why not try and pick up a decent 90 (if you can find one)? Surely a beautiful big Alfa cruiser?

PS - the briefcase set into the dash has to be the coolest "executive accessory" ever fitted to a car. Beats the umbrellas set in the doors of a new Roller every day of the week. ;D
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Citroënbender

Briefcase? Looks like a forensics kit! :p

poohbah

1981 GTV

alfonzogonzini

Just bought it for $9,500 after watching for over 12 months. Drove from Sydney to Melbourne last weekend & she did not skip a beat.

Stunning on the highway, and really started to come alive at around 120kph, by which time of course had to sadly hit the anchors :(

Falling harder for those stunning lines (and tight panel gaps) a little more each day. And dreaming of a nice stretch of Autostrada......
Current:

'15 4C Launch Edition
'08 159 JTS Ti 3.2 Sportwagon (6-speed manual)
'06 166 Ti 3.0
'83 GTV6 ex-Greg Carr/Fred Gocentas
'67 Duetto

Previous:

'92 75 3.0 V6 Potenziata
'79 Alfetta GTV
'77 Alfetta GTV

alfonzogonzini

Quote from: alfonzogonzini on October 17, 2018, 10:40:12 PM

Just bought it for $9,500 after watching for over 12 months. Drove from Sydney to Melbourne last weekend & she did not skip a beat.

Stunning on the highway, and really started to come alive at around 120kph, by which time of course had to sadly hit the anchors :(

Falling harder for those stunning lines (and tight panel gaps) a little more each day. And dreaming of a nice stretch of Autostrada......

Couple more pics....
Current:

'15 4C Launch Edition
'08 159 JTS Ti 3.2 Sportwagon (6-speed manual)
'06 166 Ti 3.0
'83 GTV6 ex-Greg Carr/Fred Gocentas
'67 Duetto

Previous:

'92 75 3.0 V6 Potenziata
'79 Alfetta GTV
'77 Alfetta GTV

poohbah

With apologies to Raf Vallone: "Pretty Car, heh heh... "
            1981 GTV

Citroënbender

Awfully similar looks to the Pug 607. Not sure which I would choose.