Alfa Romeo Guiletta tyre suggestions

Started by Choogz, October 04, 2018, 04:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Choogz

Hey Guys,

Currently running on Pirelli P-Zero tyres in the 18 inch size and absolutely hate them compared to my michelin sport tyres.

just curious to see what everyone else is running with the 18 inch wheels comfort/durability/traction in the wet.

Keen to hear all your thoughts/suggestions on what's good and what's crap to avoid.

dehne

I'm running the pilot sport 4 on my Launch Edition Giulietta they are awesome
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Choogz

Quote from: dehne on October 04, 2018, 04:35:45 PM
I'm running the pilot sport 4 on my Launch Edition Giulietta they are awesome

What size are you running and how much did each wheel set you back?

I'm personally over low profile tyre roads because the commute to work isn't the best sealed road so I feel every tiny bump and feel sorry for my car :(

Citroënbender

How's the weight distribution?

(My point being, there might be merit in choosing different front and rear rubber.)

Choogz

Quote from: Citroënbender on October 04, 2018, 10:12:59 PM
How's the weight distribution?

(My point being, there might be merit in choosing different front and rear rubber.)

Well only 1 Passenger 90% of the time when I commute and nothing in the boot/rear seats just all empty space.

I think my tyres are the 240/40/18 P-Zero's so they're low profile which probably doesn't help...

dehne

now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Craig_m67

Profile is dictated by the size of the rim (and Alfa,also importantly - your insurers)
If you want a larger profile tyre (legally) you're going to have to get a smaller rim (16" or 17")

Are you sure the brand of tyres are at fault?

How old (mileage) is the suspension?
How old/worn are the tyres?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Choogz

Not 100% sure Craig, just had these tyres before on my Alfa Romeo 147 GTA a few years ago and never was a fan of them..

Car has just over 47000 km's and is a 2015 build so i hope its not the suspension already?

Not the best at determining tyre wear so i've attached a photo I'd say they're not the best but average condition I guess?

Citroënbender

Are they the original tyres - 42nd week of 2014 manufacturing date?

Tread depth appears just fine.

rowan_bris

I too had the P Zeros and they are very noisy.  PS4s now and they are great, but then I have never liked Pirellis...  They are 17 inch wheels on my wife's giulietta.  We got 24,000 klms out of the first set of tyres!

bazzbazz

Continental CS6 are an excellent tyre at a decent price (well in 17" they are, don't know what they are going for in the larger diameters).
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

poohbah

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Choogz

Quote from: Citroënbender on October 08, 2018, 02:50:27 PM
Are they the original tyres - 42nd week of 2014 manufacturing date?

Tread depth appears just fine.

Wouldn't have a clue, could possibly be but I'm the 2nd owner bought from an Alfa dealership in Artamon.

You think I should just change them with something in the same specs but maybe not P-zero

Citroënbender

I'm always cautious of tyre recommendations for several reasons, not in any particular order:

Australians may get tyres with the same model name and size as reviewed elsewhere in the world, but with different country of manufacture and possibly slight differences in spec.

Manufacturers do - as per their product statements - reserve the right to change aspects of a product over its production timeline (and with an eye to the regional variations referenced above). And they sure do it, and often don't say much about the changes...

Very few people will immediately admit they chose a dud; hubris skews critiques.

A tyre that has great attributes in one spec may be horrible in another, eg a good 16" tyre but indifferent as an 18".

TireRack has probably the most meaningful reviews but there's still a lot of static to filter out, and you want to be sure any comments closely address the product as locally offered.