Started by 00Mart1, October 03, 2018, 03:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Sheldon McIntosh

Buy the best condition 75 you can find for your budget.  Classic Alfa handling with RWD, near enough to 50/50 weight balance, and with either engine, a fantastic note.  But the V6 is just magic.  With easy regular maintenance, they're an easy daily driver, and can do very well on the track.   They'd be a great medium between a shit old British car, and a shit newish Fiat.  They're just at the era before computers started being introduced to control everything, the electrics are manageable.   They have everything you realistically need, electric most-things, shit air-con (but not much worse than a 156 really), amazing heater.

The best thing though?  Every day you own it, it goes up in value. 

Pseudonym

At the age of the 75 it's not a prime daily - mechanicals are good but parts are expensive due to scarcity, and interior trim and wiring are sketchy. They rust when you use the windshield  washers [emoji23] For the price of a good one you can get GTA 156/147 which while will also eat your wallet won't rust just yet.

Fantastic drive though. Body roll needs attention but after that they're sweet.

Sent from my T04 using Tapatalk

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Pseudonym on October 10, 2018, 09:06:16 PM
They rust when you use the windshield washers

They rust no more than any other car of the same era, any car.  They were fully galvanised.  Granted, you might need to keep an eye on drainage points, but they're pretty good for rust.  I really think you're overstating the rust issue here, Alfa were well over the rust scandal by the time these came out. 

If you can get a GTA for under $5k can you send me the details please?  (I'm not on top of 75 prices right now, but I'm pretty sure you'd be able to get one for well under $5k, maybe not a TS or 3.0, but still?)

At least we agree on one thing though.  They are a fantastic drive, but too much body roll.  A set of konis and some big torsion bars fixes that right up though.  Even with the body roll though, they hang on pretty well, that rear suspension is amazing. 

philpot

1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Past:   '81 Alfasud ti      '76 Alfasud ti

Citroënbender

What's an E34 M5 worth?

I'd guess a bit more, and they're probably more common (than the 3-litre 75s). Love the CarSales pr0n there; thanks for that.  ;D

Pseudonym

There was one a while back around the 5 mark but auto - years ago you'd struggle to move them in the low thousands but now they go fairly quickly. Problem is for that price bracket you need to put money into it, we've done countless wiring patches and rust repairs - rear quarter and rear window is standard for any car, ours was neglected for a while so engine bay needed attention. 33s have been the best for rust actually, even the neglected ones. I'd certainly recommend one as a weekender, but when one with nothing left to fix is around $10k and you can get a rough GTA for not much more, or even better there was a manual v6 156 down to 3k recently, I'd be going that way for the daily route. If I were mainly for the track then the 75 for sure.

Sent from my T04 using Tapatalk

philpot

1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Past:   '81 Alfasud ti      '76 Alfasud ti

ugame

Quote from: Citroënbender on October 10, 2018, 10:27:32 PM
What's an E34 M5 worth?

I'd guess a bit more, and they're probably more common (than the 3-litre 75s). Love the CarSales pr0n there; thanks for that.  ;D

I must confess I was very tempted to get a cheap BMW for my daily. Apart from longer service intervals though, logic told me that I'd still be up to the same maintenance costs for an alfa. So the god awful boring Honda Civic it was. Still regretting it to be honest. Between you and me (and everyone on the internet) I dont think I'll keep the Honda long. Life is too short. Get my other boy through his driving test and then get shot of it. The $5K 2006 X-Trail we've picked up, on the other hand, is a very pleasant surprise. Both the wife and I LOVE it instantly.
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.

Citroënbender

Out of curiosity, how does one deal with extra keys/remotes on a 159? At what cost?

It's a plague on the used car market, that so many cars are sold with just one key - the other being MIA.

bazzbazz

As far as I know you have to purchase new key from Alfa Romeo with the new internal chip programmed with your cars code. You can then program it into the car via AlfaOBD or MES as long as you have the electronic security code.

If anyone knows of anyway of avoiding the dealership please let me know.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au