Author Topic: Transaxle Targa & Track Day Car?  (Read 780 times)

Vne165

Transaxle Targa & Track Day Car?
« on: October 01, 2018, 10:03:09 PM »
Hi everyone.
Itís been a long time since I was in a position to enjoy motorsport as a competitor but happily, I think Iím now able to start the physical work of what has been a long term plan to develop my í79 2L Alfetta sedan. Iím pretty handy on the tools, have built an engine or two and am lucky enough to have most of the equipment I could ask for and a place to prepare the car. Iíve built race cars before, but not for a long time.

My preference for the car would be to enjoy club days, sprints, hill climbs and eventually to compete in the Targa West tarmac rally and perhaps if funds/time permits, maybe some other interstate events.

So, primary design criteria/preferences are:
-   Maximise enjoyment and participation. I donít have anything to prove and would just like to realise the most I can from myself and the car.
-   I really would like to maintain the car as road registered so it can be rallied and more broadly enjoyed.
-   Develop the handling, braking and overall packaging of the car.
-   Develop the Nord engine within the bounds of budget and transmission/powertrain reliability. Supercharging is high on my list of desirable options.
-   Gain more experience in development of the transaxle platform. I just love them.

I have a fairly good idea of what I think are sensible engineering, design and development options.
However Iím struggling a little to make sense of the choices regards CAMS classification and which class to run the car in.

It seems to me that the car would be eligible for C3 class in Tarmac as a 'Late Classic' car. But that seems to rule out any meaningful development of the engine e.g. supercharging or some other ideas I want to explore regards cylinder head options for the Nord. Based on my reading of the regs, to step outside of a Ďmodified standardí design puts you in the IPRA or sports sedan classes? So no Targa...

So just wondering if there is anyone currently competing Targa or at club level in an Alfetta platform who can clarify or suggest what is the best class to aim for.
Perhaps Iím missing something in my reading of it all (must be short on brain cells to want to do this anywayÖ!).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts
Vne

Vne165

Re: Transaxle Targa & Track Day Car?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 10:55:23 PM »
Anyone?