Appreciating 'Classics'

Started by V AR 164, September 27, 2018, 04:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugame

Quote from: bazzbazz on September 28, 2018, 03:50:07 PM
Quote from: ugame on September 28, 2018, 10:29:08 AM

Any car I buy will NOT be a future classic.

Hang on! Your recon the Alfa GTV WON'T ever be a classic?   ???

Oh it will NOW Bazz   

I sold it remember.

When the day my son offers it back to me, he'll be asking me $5k - $10k already lol.

The V6s are already climbing I believe.

In all seriousness, if it was about money, I should have purchased a good v6 GTV, enjoy it for 5 to 10 years, in which time I believe they'd have gained some traction, and THEN got a Porsche.

But tomorrow isn't a guarantee so I have zero real regrets jumping to the Porsche now.

I just hope I didn't jump in too early on the curve. I probably did. But again, tomorrow isn't a guarantee. Live for today. ;)

My 2c

The only way to "win" in the car investment game, and plenty of experts on the subject have said this.....

Buy the car YOU like. That way, win or loose, you win.
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.

Citroënbender

I have to wonder about the role of social media in this, but are we becoming more inclined to hindsight?

Pseudonym

I think nostalgia has always been a strong selling point everywhere, perhaps in a rapidly changing world people extend more affection to the world they remember fondly. Social media has been a bit like the advent of cable news channels - it's just an overload of information. The same stuff still happens, just we see so much more of it that it seems amplified. IE, Ford cop a huge fine for a poor product and it's a huge deal and everyone oohs and ahhs, but it's nothing new really - I can just imagine a lancia owner coming to the future now "Oh your transmission failed? That's cute [emoji28]"

Sent from my HTC 2PS5200 using Tapatalk

kaleuclint

Quote from: Pseudonym on September 30, 2018, 04:29:18 PM
I think nostalgia has always been a strong selling point everywhere
Hence my quest for an HK/HG/HT Holden Premier.  How expensive could they be??  Well, they are VERY expensive for what was a fairly ubiquitous vehicle back in the day.  As for a Torana GTR...  Even an ex-PMG Kombi van is a pricey collectable these days; wish I'd picked up one of them.

When I sold my HJ Monaro GTS I knew it would gain collectability stature one day. 

But a VR Commodore???
2011 159ti 1750TBi

bazzbazz

Nostalgia -

Was at a friends workshop/wreckers one day having a chat with the owner, when down the drive came a flatbed with a near fully restored Austin A50. It was brought in for some final work.

The flatbed driver had his son with him, and as we were ogling the pristine & flawless restoration the son quipped "why on earth would anyone go through all the trouble of restoring this thing?"

The workshop owner replied - "Well you have to understand, the owner of this car in getting on in years, and probably wants to re-live some of his youthful wonders, and this was the car that he lost his virginity in the back seat of. He probably wants to take it for a drive and just sit in it and re-live some of those marvelous moments.

I replied - "Makes you glad you didn't loose your virginity in the back of a Morris Marina don't it!   ;)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Pseudonym

I was once told by a workmate that the VN commodore is a great machine because there's enough room to do the deed in the boot. I've never felt the need to test the veracity of that claim but if anyone would know it'd be that guy [emoji23]

On a related note I'm sitting in the Mark 2 coupe at the shopping centre and a young guy from Saudi Arabia came over to have a look and ask how much I'd sell it for. He didn't know the Mark 2 but thought it looked like the 240K coupe, which I explained has skyrocketed in value of late, 20 grand will get a rusty original one. I always thought they had an affinity for the Datsuns due to them being one of the first performance cars imported there but apparently just all classic cars are big dollars there, any old cars and just the Datsuns were quite common when new.

Sent from my T04 using Tapatalk

ugame

Nostalgia is a powerful drug come mid life.

Being a bit of a nerd, I am currently hankering to re-own crazy things like Sinclair ZX Spectrum, Commodore Amiga 500, and an old Pentium 2 PC.

Hell, maybe even brake out my old Hornby trains.

And that is why I think perhaps some of these "classics" are short lived. Temporary classics.

The people buying them NOW, are the people who either lusted after them as a kid, or owned them in young adult hood.

When those people are gone, who will want them next?

That's my thoughts anyway.

But I do like to use the "poster car" theory to try and predict future classics.
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS

Citroënbender

Perhaps then, the shifting inclination is more towards physical possession of a nostalgic object? Where once we may have been content with tangential experience of an item or memory of past possession, we now want to "own" it in the present.

There are many historic - and even some contemporary- cars I admire, but I'm honestly happy to passenger in most of them whilst an enthusiastic and informed driver operates (and yes, I expect a running narrative  :D).

kaleuclint

Hornby trains for sure!  I know people who either (a.) re-live having a 'train set' (model railway) as they did in their youth, or (b.) re-live former 1:1 scale travel/holiday experiences in HO or OO.

I suspect I will never get to re-live learning to drive in Mum's Honda N600.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

poohbah

Hornby trains and 80s PCs?

Two places you need to visit: for the former, Stanbridges Hobby Shop opposite the subway in Mt Lawley. Has been around since Moses was a boy...

For the latter, and if you are ever in Canberra, try the Green Shed Shop in City Walk. Was there a few weeks back and among the usual bric-a-brac, they had all kinds of old electronics, lab equipment, surveying instruments, dental gear etc. I believe they had an Atari PC/keyboard. Me, I was a Commodore-64 guy....
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

ugame

Some of it for me is easy to come by.

Trains in both N and 00 gauge I still have access to in my parents loft in the UK. I just need to bother to dig it out from all the other crap during a visit one day.

Old PC, again, my parents still have one that I left for them to use, when I moved out to Australia for 1 year......15 years ago.

Rather than trains though, I'm tempted to set up a massive slot car track in my mancave. but OMG that can add up $$$ when you start looking into it.

Going back to Nostalgia trips though......I must confess, when I do visit the UK, sometimes by my self, I stay in my old room, at my parents house, and catch up with my old mates at our old haunts.

It's almost a nostalgia overdose and can get quite overwhelming and emotional.

Great to be able to do it though.

Citroënbender

I reckon a panhead HD is always a safe bet if bought at the right price.