Appreciating 'Classics'

Started by V AR 164, September 27, 2018, 04:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

Just had a quick look at a couple commodores for sale and was astounded at the price some people are willing to ask!

VN's have skyrocketed and VP's VR's and VS's are following suit very quickly. A VS acclaim is for sale currently for $8,750  :o :o I mean 2 years ago they were not worth 500 bucks!

A mate has a VK Calais in which he paid around 4k for a few years back, and now has people practically throwing 15k his way.

I'm not even going to mention anything Australian from the 60's or 70's....

Surely the market has to crash sometime in the future? It seems as though anything that is eligible for club rego automatically goes up in value.

I clearly should have bought that VH I was looking at for around the same money when I bought my 164Q.... Would have been much better off me thinks!!!

Edit: Even the jap car market from the 80's and 90's has exploded in price! Not so much for our euro cars though...

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Pseudonym

Yeah I sold my VL off for a grand unregistered, good car and all but I wouldn't pay what they ask now. Same as the American stuff, I've no idea why people would part with 60k for something that drives like a bus and looks like a roller coaster cart but they do, and they can keep on buying them, I like my obscure Japanese and euro machines [emoji16]

Sent from my T04 using Tapatalk

Citroënbender

It's probably stretching things to call many of these cars, classics. It is good to see the quality and diversity of reproduction parts so greatly improved from 30 years ago.

My current favourite project is an early '60s SWB truck. It's got a long way to go in my scheme of a resto-rod, but I'm sure it will come out idiosyncratic enough to never be worth too much (in my mind) but many would see it as a "classic"...

bazzbazz

I Bought my VR Commodore (Toyota Lexan) brand new, put 300,000km on it and sold it simply because it was getting so hard to get spares for it at reasonable prices.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

poohbah

A young guy down the road drove past me in a stock VH Commodore V8 the other day, and it really struck me that it had probably been years since I last saw one on the road. Real granddad trim too - steel wheels, beige interior, stock springs - which made me chuckle. I'd have thought every last surviving V8 would have been ruined by three decades of progressive boganising by now.

I was also happy to see a teenager who lives round the corner getting around in a mid 80s Corona - lowered of course, but still, just a Corona. Ugly as (remember those awful hot cross bun wheel trims?), but cool in its own counter culture kinda way.

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

philpot

Coincidence, today driving to Melb and back overtook a burgundy VN commodore on club plates. At first i thought, a VN on historic plates?, but when I got closer I saw it was really clean and original, obviously looked after and cared for; it even had a sunvisor at the top of the windscreen ...  Youngish bloke driving, so I thought, fair enough!
1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Past:   '81 Alfasud ti      '76 Alfasud ti

Citroënbender

Must have nearly been it's maiden run!

ugame

I can predict non future classics.

It's a rare and powerful skill I have.

Any car I buy will NOT be a future classic.

TBH though, if it's not a car you want to own and enjoy, you may as well play the stock market.

Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.

lombardi

I have similar skills , Buy a old bomb , keep it a year or so ,then sell it , Whamo , next year that model is a classic , ie example's

GTV6 grand prix

105 giulia 1968 1750

166 with busso motor ,soon will be classic

33 ti 1985 , soon to be a classic

1974 spider , learnt my lesson , keeping this one... LOL
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

bazzbazz

Quote from: ugame on September 28, 2018, 10:29:08 AM

Hang on! Your recon the Alfa GTV WON'T ever be a classic?   ???
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

philpot

Quote from: lombardi on September 28, 2018, 11:54:54 AM
I have similar skills , Buy a old bomb , keep it a year or so ,then sell it , Whamo , next year that model is a classic , ie example's

GTV6 grand prix

105 giulia 1968 1750

166 with busso motor ,soon will be classic

33 ti 1985 , soon to be a classic

1974 spider , learnt my lesson , keeping this one... LOL

I have 'one' of the above ...

Should I not sell it  ?
1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Past:   '81 Alfasud ti      '76 Alfasud ti

Pseudonym

Everyone always said the 33 will never be worth anything...and I've encouraged that because I can buy a whole spares car for three hundred bucks whereas that'll get me a GTV ashtray [emoji23] And in terms of street driving it does everything I want with so much heart I couldn't get rid of it.

The 916 GTV I think is probably the oddball of the collectables, the GTAs will always hold value better because they drive better but in terms of bang for buck they are well worth it.

Craig_m67

164 & 166 will never be (economically appreciating) classics.  Fine cars I'm sure, but not nearly enough people enjoyed them let alone even noticed them when they were new to go looking for them to relive youthful memories when they've become cashed up bogan/yuppie/nimby retirees

Just my two cents

I expect we will see peak 105 madne$$ in then next few years also.

Corollas and early A4 Quattro Audi's will take over
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

V AR 164

Quote from: ugame on September 28, 2018, 10:29:08 AM
I can predict non future classics.

It's a rare and powerful skill I have.

Seems like we have something in common then hahaha.

Agree 100% with the 166 and 164 never becoming worth much, however, speaking to my local Alfa wrecker he says there has been an increase in demand for older 4 door Alfa's. Same thing with 75's, you can still pick up twin sparks for a few thou but the Potenziata's are getting up there in value.

In saying that though, I paid peanuts for my Q and if you want a decent one now your looking at upwards of 5k.

I reckon the old 80's to 90's Merc's is next. Always wanted a 190E but never seen a good one for sale.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Pseudonym

Man, there was a guy years back with a few 190s and he had an unregistered E he was putting back together, advertised it for about 4 almost ready to go and had no interest whatsoever - would have sold in an hour in Europe  somewhere but the market for obscure euros just isn't here. 

Still, I could've bought a series 1 delta integrale for like 30k years and years ago, now look at them.