159 no pressure brake pedal

Started by V AR 164, September 19, 2018, 03:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

Hi all,

Yesterday I removed my front calipers to repaint them. I undid the brake line and let the fluid drain into a container.

Upon reinstallation today, I attached the calipers and began to bleed the brakes. I removed all the air bubbles and the pedal felt good when the car was turned off.

However, when I turned the car on to take it for a drive, the brake pedal went straight to the floor with very little resistance.

I thought there was air in the system still, so I bled the brakes again and made sure there are no air bubbles.

Again took the car for a drive and the pedal went to the floor.

When it gets to the very end, it applies some brake force and the car does stop. However if I pump the pedal I get pressure back but it still doesn't stop the car.

I am lost and got no idea what else to do? I have never had this issue before.

Obviously I have bled the front and back calipers.

Any ideas? Need the car for tomorrow so right now I'm kinda screwed  >:(

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

V AR 164

Edit:

It's not the brake master seals as when I hold the brake pedal at the floor, I try to let out the clutch but the car won't move forward in 1st, which means it's holding pressure, but not properly.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

bazzbazz

You need to bleed it at the master cylinder union point. Engine bay, drivers side, firewall, just follow the solid brake lines from the Reservoir. You'll see the bleed nipple.

Also there are 2 sets of bleed nipples on the front Brembo Calipers, you bleed the inner ones first then the outer ones.

So do the Master first, then the Calipers, you will also have much better success using a pressure bleeder.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

V AR 164

Cheers bazz, if you were in Vic I'd take you out for a cold brew hahaha, saved me heaps of time as I wouldn't have found that for a few more hours at least.

Anyway, bled the master then bled the calipers again. Pedal feel improved significantly but still not perfect.

I just read online now that there is in fact 2 bleed nipples on the master cylinder.... I only did one....

If I have some time I'll try it again tonight.

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

bazzbazz

May I suggest next time to clamp off the flexible hoses to the calipers, there are clamps available from most automotive places that will do the job without damaging the hose.

Makes life much easier.  :)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroƫnbender

QuoteI just read online now that there is in fact 2 bleed nipples on the master cylinder.
And twelve solenoids in the VDC bloc, all waiting to stash away air for that moment you're banking on a firm pedal.  :o

V AR 164

Indeed was gonna buy a couple brake line hose clamps, but they were 9 bucks each and I thought 'nah they're too expensive, I don't need em'....

Needless to say I think $18 clamps would have been cheaper than the $50 I spent on brake fluid......

Bled the other side of the master and the brakes work perfectly again. Instant response when you touch the pedal.

"And twelve solenoids in the VDC bloc, all waiting to stash away air for that moment you're banking on a firm pedal"

Let's hope that is not the case   :-\

Andrew
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

V AR 164

Drove to uni today, brake pedal felt awesome and give heaps of confidence, even more so than before.

Anyway here's a pic of the finished calipers, I think they turned out freaking awesome  8)

Cheers guys, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti