Vin number on gtv6

Started by Sam, September 19, 2018, 01:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Trying to find the vin number so we can get picture for club rego.
Does anyone know where it is and how to get a picture . I cant see where it is amongst the mess in the engine bay.. let alone take a picture

rowan_bris

top of the firewall on the driver's side and also on the compliance plate.

aggie57

And it's not a VIN in the American sense. It's a chassis number.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Craig_m67

Quote from: aggie57 on September 20, 2018, 07:35:19 AM

What's a VIN in the American sense? :)

The early Alfa chassis numbers or vehicle identification number are same thing. It's the number that DoTARS records and uses as the primary identifier in their national VIN register, the same identifier that the states and territories then reference to ensure a vehicle is compliant (ADR) and legally able to be registered in Aust. (Dependant on their own rules also) which they also enter in the d'base (or form) against the field named VIN

The identifier or VIN was standardised (globally?) sometime (in 70/80s??) to include manufacturing details.  Bound to be a google wiki on it....

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

aggie57

Quote from: Craig_m67 on September 20, 2018, 09:03:39 AM
Quote from: aggie57 on September 20, 2018, 07:35:19 AM

What's a VIN in the American sense? :)

The early Alfa chassis numbers or vehicle identification number are same thing. It's the number that DoTARS records and uses as the primary identifier in their national VIN register, the same identifier that the states and territories then reference to ensure a vehicle is compliant (ADR) and legally able to be registered in Aust. (Dependant on their own rules also) which they also enter in the d'base (or form) against the field named VIN

The identifier or VIN was standardised (globally?) sometime (in 70/80s??) to include manufacturing details.  Bound to be a google wiki on it....

Apologies Craig, I've always treated VIN's as something that's fundamentally based on US usage and subsequently morphed into a global standard.  But you're right, looks like it became a ISO issued standard in 1980 which would cover all GTV6's.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Craig_m67

No need to apologise fella, I wasn't having a crack  :)

Interesting standard, looks like it evolved from the yanks - so props to them for starting it off.

LukeC

"DOTARS"...... ?????

It was DOTARS back when I joined the department in about 2001 (for a brief period), then became DOTRS, then would change every time the government would change  etc. Required every bit of existing stationary to be relabeled and phased out... God knows what it is now.

And don't use the acronym FORS either (Federal Office Of Road Safety).... I think that went in 1989. It is VSS (Vehicle Safety Standards) branch.

Interesting standard hey? Try Interpreting and converting something like a an emission standard to code.

No, I don't work there. Anymore....

Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

Craig_m67

HA !! :)

Sorry, English is my first language too  ;)