Selespeed shift blues

Started by Diamond Ric T, August 28, 2018, 12:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diamond Ric T

Well, I can't say I wasn't warned. I started messin' where I shouldn't have been messin'. Bought a 147 Selespeed and after a few weeks - yep - it has decided to muck up. If I nudge the shifter forward to go to second from first, nothing happens. If I give it another nudge it jumps to third. No problem third to 4th or 4th to fifth. On the way down, it goes smoothly through all gears. My Alfa Diagnostics has not picked up a problem. If someone can throw me a bone on this one I would be more than grateful!
ALFA 166 3.0 V6 2001
ALFA 156 2.0 TS Manual wagon 2001
ALFA 156 2.0 TS Manual sedan 2002
ALFA 147 2.0 TS Manual 5 door hatch 2003

"My thirst for learning is only transcended by the joy of sharing the knowledge"

Citroënbender

Can you complete the shift calibration routine, the one where it rattles and shakes as it sits there and shifts in and out of gears like a robot with Tourette's?

Diamond Ric T

ALFA 166 3.0 V6 2001
ALFA 156 2.0 TS Manual wagon 2001
ALFA 156 2.0 TS Manual sedan 2002
ALFA 147 2.0 TS Manual 5 door hatch 2003

"My thirst for learning is only transcended by the joy of sharing the knowledge"

Citroënbender

Gut feeling is a too-flat accumulator, hence the testing with this routine.

bazzbazz

Carry out a End Of Line Calibration, if it still does it you most likely have a loose "Pinch Bolt".

It's the bolt that actually bolts the Selespeed Actuator to the Gearbox Selector Horn, accessed through the front left wheel arch.

Google it if you want more info, there's lots around.

There is a test for it in the diagnostics, if it fails the test it's definitely the Pinch Bolt, if it passes, it still can be the bolt.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Mick A