Solar Maintenance Chargers (Car Battery)

Started by Citroënbender, August 08, 2018, 08:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

I've been trawling the 'net, a lot of the static seems to be from about 2015-2016 but I note many vendors have changed models or their function statements since then.  (Although the Supercheap ones are still alleged to melt!)

Has anyone bought recently; if so, what impressions to date?

Citroënbender

Anyone using these? Price is sharp, specs appear good.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/12v-5w-monocrystalline-solar-panel/p/ZM9053

I've been scared off the Supercrap ones. 😱

Citroënbender

Yes, a couple of the projects I intend to keep, need trickle chargers to maintain their batteries.

Looks like I'm the crash test dummy for this.  :) Hopefully a better net result than the exhaust experience!

bazzbazz

Quote from: Citroënbender on August 10, 2018, 03:16:07 PM
Yes, a couple of the projects I intend to keep, need trickle chargers to maintain their batteries.

All of a sudden Dr Frankenstein's laboratory pops into my head with CB screaming at Egor "where's the bloody jumper cables!"
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

QuoteBy the light of the night, it'll seem alright

I may buy one tomorrow and lay on my back in the sun, solar panel resting on my chest, one lead clipped to a toe and the other to an ear.

Citroënbender

I've bought one from Jaycar to test, it's the ZM-9050. Will know in a few days how it's faring.

Great banter with the staff about crash-tackling shoppies, worth the price of admission.  :D

EDIT 1: Fifteen minutes on the car and it's already taking effect. Central locking is now restored. I am impressed.

EDIT 2: It's very "sensitive" to solar aspect. I make a confession here; apart from solar watches and calculators, this is my first meaningful experience with solar cells. So maybe that observation fits into the "no kidding" category - I don't know. But inclined behind the windscreen vs fully facing into the sun, there is a significant difference in output.

Citroënbender

It's passed the first test with flying colours. Got my three-year-old lead/acid battery charged enough that the 10A smart charger could finish it off. Solar aspect really is proving critical when you need this level of grunt.

For now I'll leave the alligator clip terminals and long lead on it, I note the unit has a readily removable back cover over the terminations so it will be easy to modify the output wires, to fit with a discreet plug in the cabin.

Will make a little support of scantlings from the Big Green Shed, so when behind the windscreen it is finding a better angle to face the sun.

Citroënbender

ZM-9050 currently (as of this post's date) on sale à Jaycar, $23.95.

Paul Gulliver

At that price I have brought one for my little fishing boat . It gets even less use than the older Alfa's. I will report back later as to the success or otherwise of  marine application.
PS : Any concern about a no cut off function once a battery is fully charged
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Citroënbender

No concern from me with an older design lead-acid battery.

5W is about the vernacular limit for uncontrolled solar chargers. Larger panels will need a charge controller; that's $20-$40 more.

Alternative views on risk of over-charging might be solicited on Whingepool, reddit, eng-tips, Aussiefrogs and BimmerForums. None with certainty of greater rectitude, more that each will flush out a different subspecies of nuffy.  ::)