Discontinuation of 147/156 Bilstein B6 Dampers

Started by Citroënbender, August 05, 2018, 09:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

Wow, price is keen. Well spotted.

Should I buy another 147 to put them on?

Craig_m67

I didn't realise you had found some B6 fronts yet - thought these might be a cheap alternative for you until they're available (new) again.

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Citroënbender

I didn't buy B6 fronts, the car is in it's 90 day grace period between lapse of rego and cancellation, and I didn't feel like going through the whole roadworthy caper after maybe/maybe not finding some unicorn eggs.  So the decision was to buy something else, fit with the new genuine strut tops and gaiters, and get back to enjoying the car on the road, as opposed to in the driveway.  :)

(I am mostly enjoying the 405 Pug, it has niggles aplenty but also smiles to make up for them.)

Hopefully Ric will bag these shocks you found.

Citroënbender

I've finally fitted the rear B6 dampers to the Crash Magnet, it's sort of bemusing to go within 24 hours from pitching and wallowing to almost harsh in firmness.

As to the fronts, eventually I chose Koni FSD as an experiment, with new genuine bump stops/gaiters and top hats.

Hoping to have them in by middle of next week, it's somewhat dependant on whether I outsource the reassembly of the struts or DIY.

105greg

Very interesting topic .  I bought sooty off Craig and have now transplanted the b6 into a 156 sedan for track purposes.   I totally don't understand that the height on the sedan now sits higher than even the original .  It's got me stuffed.   Having said that it handles very well and was able to get a third place in a recent street sprint out of 8 cars that all should have beat me.  Anyone got any ideas why that would be. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig_m67

Are you still using Sooty?
(Might want it back)

105greg

Yes I do.     Was pumping horrendous black smoke.  Sooty.   Decided to retire it and take gta wheels and shocks and put on track car. I know it's a tragedy but still have it .  Yours if you want.   

Craig_m67

Quote from: 105greg on May 10, 2019, 09:20:54 PM

Yes I do.     Was pumping horrendous black smoke.  Sooty.   Decided to retire it and take gta wheels and shocks and put on track car. I know it's a tragedy but still have it .  Yours if you want.   

Done, is she registered?
Call me :)

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

105greg

Oh Craig it has suffered a serious injustice.  Will call you tomorrow.  What's yr number.  Pm me.     gregsimpson5@bigpond.com     0449009893.

105greg

Quote from: bazzbazz on May 10, 2019, 09:49:04 PM
Oh for the love of . . . . . .  ::)

;D
Bazz.  U know.

Craig_m67

Nothing we (bazz....) can't fix with a Giulietta transplant

Just tell me her body is still straight  ;D

105greg

Absolutely as straight as the day you sold it to me.     

105greg

By the way.  Can anyone explain my previous question.   Really intrigues me.  Why does the sedan sit higher than normal on straight swap from the wagons b6 shocks .  Have I done something wrong somewhere.  I would estimate 15mm higher ride height from the swap to the sedan .  I have also compared ride height from a standard 156 sedan , same equation.     I'm stuffed if I know. 

Citroënbender

Are the spring seats exactly the same height from the lower mount bolts?