147 Driver's Door Combi Switch Fixes

Started by Citroënbender, July 31, 2018, 09:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

Amidst all the less-than-ecstatic posts which seem to be populating the forum, I thought it worth sharing one small repair that might save a few people some dosh.

The driver's door switch panel on my 5-door manual 147, had developed two problems.

First, the RH window control button was floppy - it would accept a downpress happily and the window rolled right down nicely but to get it to go up, you had to sort of hook your finger under the front edge of the button and pull it back/up at the same time using your thumb as a pivot.
Second, the mirror side selector toggle didn't know if it was Arthur or Martha.  It'd wiggle to the left, wiggle to the right with vibrations as you drove or shut the door.  The detent locations were stuffed.

The niggles are in addition to the usual gummy black tactile coating issues.

I removed the switch unit (to my eternal shame, I broke one some years back before discovering the screw below the armrest). With small flat blade screwdrivers as picks, I dismantled the top section of the switch, leaving the section with sockets/circuit board untouched.

Diagnosis 1 - the window button - one pivot side pin broken off.  Any other window switch can be dismantled to donate a button; I like to use the OSR as it's probably the least used in an RHD car.  I suspect that like many other "global" components the TRW combi switch uses buttons also found on other marques and models - just haven't checked.

Diagnosis 2 - the mirror side control...  What a mess.  The little stainless spring leaves had dropped down due to the detent fingers breaking free from the housing top plate.

Everything above the rubber circuit board membrane went into a detergent solution to stew out the dried coffees, exfoliated skin, yada yada. Once scrubbed clean with a toothbrush and patted dry, meths was used to greatly reduce the gumminess of the top cover. A replacement button was found. The detent fingers required a fiddlier repair.  First I flat bonded the fingers to their stainless leaf springs using urethane sealant (made in Italy, no less). Two days were allowed for drying.  Then I carefully placed the stainless leaves back in their locations after pre-buttering the area with more urethane, and used re-formed paper clips as mini clamps to hold each in place. Again, a few days' drying is cheap insurance. 

That's about it; not a repair for complete novices, but a re-engineered approach that saves the uncertainties of a used part and overcomes a design weakness.

Deet

I just both a 147 and the top button of the mirror switch is completely missing. I guess I will be needing to find a whole new switch assembly

Any hints on where to start looking?

Citroënbender

You mean the four-way round "button"?

It just clips in; if nothing else is broken or missing, there should be a choice of button donors, the 156 appears identical in this part.

Deet

Quote from: Citroënbender on September 13, 2018, 07:53:12 AM
You mean the four-way round "button"?

It just clips in; if nothing else is broken or missing, there should be a choice of button donors, the 156 appears identical in this part.

I appears to be just the button top, but the L/R selector also seems to be a bit dodgy

Anyone know of an Alfa wrecker in Adelaide?

Citroënbender

There's the chaps in Kudla, but not usually cheap.

Note the difference between three door switches and four door ones, the latter being much less common and dearer new. You can't mix-and-match readily, but it may be possible to carefully cut a three door escutcheon to suit a five door unit.