Would 3k be a lowball or fair?

Started by jbj4700, July 28, 2018, 04:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbj4700

Hi guys, I'm looking to downgrade from a fairly new car worth 14k to a sub 5k car, pay off debts and start saving for a house, I had a 2003 156 JTS SS a few years ago and sold it.  Have found this car but I don't think it's worth 4.5k more like 3k, I struggled to get 2.5k for my 156 in 2016 with 130,000km, though it was a SS, mileage is a tad high on this one. I only do 5000km a year so don't drive much.

What does everyone think?

Please view this ad:

2004 Alfa 156 ti,
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/emu-park/cars-vans-utes/2004-alfa-156-ti/1189400574?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

jbj4700

He's been trying to sell for about 2 months, from personal experience this doesn't mean anything is wrong with it, mine took 4 months.

jbj4700

Has gearbox oil leaking from bellhousing, they won't provide rwc, pass...

Citroënbender

105gta

The oil leaking from the bell housing is most likely engine oil from the 2 rubber Welch plugs in the back of the block, either way it's a gearbox out job.
I'd offer 2.5k and see how you go. At that mileage check the service history, ask for receipts! As you'll be up for timing belts as well.
Good bargaining tools 😉
If you're planning to do the work yourself parts aren't that expensive but the labour is if you're paying someone else to do it.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)

jbj4700

I haven't looked at the car so not sure what the oil is, but I got a bad vibe from them, every time I've ignored bad vibes I've ended up with a car needing tons of work, I can do most of the work myself but really don't want to do major repairs to a car just to get it on the road unless it's a real bargain, if I'm pulling the gearbox then I'd be doing a clutch kit so the bargain factor decreases, apparently the head gasket was done and it started leaking afterwards so it may well be the head gasket.

They didn't seem to want to budge much on the price claiming they know what they're worth and they'll be a classic collector car soon.

The main thing that bothers me was the guy was going to let me keep the rego in his name as they don't want to do a rwc on it, it's unlikely to pass one with the oil leak, but it worries me there may be a lot more wrong with it.  Bad experiences have made me very skeptical and pessimistic unfortunately.

P.S.
I realise a rwc doesn't mean a car is good, but if a car is a great as people are saying why won't they spend $70 on a rwc? especially when their asking price is on the higher end and when QLD roadworthy inspections aren't very good anyway, I've had two done since moving here from VIC and was shocked that it took five to ten minutes with no photo's and no roadtest.  On the second one I had done the guy just sat in the drivers seat for a few seconds, popped the bonnet and looked at the brake rotors, he didn't even look underneath it.

poohbah

Quotethey know what they're worth and they'll be a classic collector car soon

I want what they are smoking - and I love my 156. But classic collector car? err nuh-uh. Unless maybe if you have a GTA, and keep it til 2030.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Citroënbender

If you're seriously wanting to save money, I don't think this is the right car. By your statement, you don't drive much so fuel usage in anything is not a big deal (assuming it comes in under 20 litres per hundred). What will get you is age-related maintenance; timing belts that fall due at three or four years, tyres that dry-crack before they wear out. 

Some "cockroach" cars under 20 years old I can think of include the CRV, the last Shagna, six pot BA Flagons (check for rust), the 2 litre Xsara if you do the belt on time, early E46 sedan if you internet shop your parts.

If you want cheap and bland, a Sydney neighbour has an unreg '04 Mazda 3 series that would go very cheap and needs stuff-all for a roadie; probably belt, battery, wiper blades and coolant flush.

poohbah

I seem to recall the last time we had this discussion CB, the cheap but trusty beige-mobile morphed into a not-so-cheap 159... ;D
            1981 GTV

hammer

I owned that car from 2008 to 2013. I bought it from the original owner, AROCA member Grant Sigston, and sold it to AROCA member Rob Cantle. Rob Cantle sold it to the current owner, who lives up Rockhampton way.

It was an awesome little car to drive (lowered on Eibach springs), but has lived a full 14 years. Both Rob Cantle and I did club sprints in it - a task it handled admirably.

I replaced the gearbox at about 80,000km, after breaking first gear. Belts were always done on time and the service record was kept up to date until 2016. I can't speak to the service record since then.

Good luck with your car shopping.

poohbah

Speaking of unrealistic expectations - there's a lady owner in Perth who thinks her 2005 156 Ti is worth $15,000...
She's gonna be waiting a looooooooong time for a buyer.
            1981 GTV

Citroënbender

Godot will arrive first.

And hats off to Hammer for a nice potted history of the car for sale.  :D

SeleMatt

That $15,000 156 has been for sale for ages already...good for a collector she tells us in the ad...[emoji23]

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

jbj4700

Decided to go in a different direction, looking at a Mini Cooper S JCW tonight. 10k, might get it for 9, will knock out one loan and take a chunk out of another.

Citroënbender

You are trolling the forum, surely?