The Selespeed clutch Blues

Started by Diamond Ric T, July 27, 2018, 06:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diamond Ric T

Good Day Forum and Club members

I have purchased a 147 Selespeed - engine running but wont go out of neutral.  Previous owner gave up and I inherited a "project".
My initial inspection involved comparing a working Sele with the one I have. I noticed that on mine, the clutch push rod is almost fully extended with the clutch release lever being almost hard against the bell housing case. On the working unit, the push rod is well back, with the release lever being about 45 degrees out from its pivot point. My initial theory is that there is a problem inside the bell housing - maybe a thrust bearing or a broken clutch. My AlfaOBD scanner/software is telling me that the sele is OK  (although the pump doesn't come on when the driver door is opened. (it does work though - I have switched it on via Alfa-OBD))
I would certainly welcome any comments or suggestions.
ALFA 166 3.0 V6 2001
ALFA 156 2.0 TS Manual wagon 2001
ALFA 156 2.0 TS Manual sedan 2002
ALFA 147 2.0 TS Manual 5 door hatch 2003

"My thirst for learning is only transcended by the joy of sharing the knowledge"

Citroënbender

It's not my usual form to be posting here on Friday nights, but the whole day is about 2½ hours out of kilter, so whatever...  :)

I'd suggest your thrust bearing has probably pushed through the release fingers.

Based purely on experience with Cit/Pug stuff, I would these days replace the fork pivot shaft bushes at the time of re-clutching and also the balance shaft end-plugs - one of which is inaccessible with the gearbox refitted.

Diamond Ric T

Thank you for the reply - as I suspected, I don't think I am going to dodge the bullet on this one. Clutch/gearbox bell housing will almost certainly have to come off. Cheers. RT
ALFA 166 3.0 V6 2001

"My thirst for learning is only transcended by the joy of sharing the knowledge"

bazzbazz

Yes, the clutch fingers have failed.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Diamond Ric T

Well, I will definitely be stamping on new ground for this job. Done timing belts and engine heads - I guess it was only a matter of time before this one reared its ugly head
ALFA 166 3.0 V6 2001

Citroënbender

I note the nice clean bellhousing top, good start to a tidy job.  :)

Have you got ePer on your computer for all the part numbers?

Diamond Ric T

Hi Citroënbender
Thank you so much for your kind assistance. One of my many eccentricities is that I cannot stand working on a dirty engine. My first job is always to degrease, high pressure water clean, dry with compressed air. That way I can see what I am doing  - and do it without wearing the grease and grime of a filthy engine. I am unaware of ePer. Could you give me a "heads up"?

ALFA 166 3.0 V6 2001

Citroënbender

ePer is the online database for Alfa/Fiat/Lancia stuff, many people have access to a copy of Version 84, which is the last "standalone" version - now four years out of date, but still a good reference. 

It turns up consistently on Fleabay as either a torrent or DVD. You can access it online through a few enthusiast sites but they are usually congested with users and you may get disconnected without warning.

When installed, pages can be fairly readily printed off if you need to discuss anything with a dealer. 

Typical search for the product:
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=eper+84&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_PrefLoc=2

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Diamond Ric T

ALFA 166 3.0 V6 2001

Citroënbender

Also, order

1× 46784963
1× 46784964
2× 7576017