2.4 JTDm engine oil: Latest advice from Selenia

Started by Anth73, March 01, 2017, 04:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anth73

Out of interest I checked Selenia's Lube Recommender for their recommended engine oil for the 2.4 JTDm engine. Surprisingly it now recommends their new generation Selenia WR Pure Energy 5W-30 oil, which is a fully synthetic ACEA C2 low ash specification oil.

There's been a lot of confusion and debate online about the Alfa Romeo owner's manual recommending Selenia WR 5W-40, which is an ACEA A3/B4 specification oil as this particular specification isn't usually recommended for diesel engines with DPF's.

I decided to email technical support at Petronas (owner of Selenia) and this is their response:

The engine of his car was born with SELENIA WR 5W-40 that is the product indicated on the manual.

Then FCA engines 2.4 JTD EURO 5 has developed the lubricant SELENIA WR P.E. 5W-30 this product improves the fuel economy.

However you can use both products.

Hoping to have them clear the doubts remain at your disposal for any further information.

Best regards
Davide Tarricone
Technical Support Advisor

Technical Service Italy
PETRONAS LUBRICANTS ITALY S.p.A[/i]
Now:
2012 Giulietta QV
1982 GTV6 3L fast road build
1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce...the long term project
1970 1750 GTV project car for sale

Then:
2002 156 2.5V6 Manual
2012 159 2.4JTDm Sportwagon
1973 2000 GTV with a 1750 rear half...that was a shame!
Alfa 90 (only for its engine mounts)

bungster

I bought  159 JTDm about a week ago and its my first diesel. Have been researching the "right' oil to put in it and have been around in circles with all the advice and opinions on the which one to use. I'm fairly short on the tech "smarts" but after researching it to death have decided to use Penrite Enviro+  5w-40. By chance Repco have it on special (40% off) at the moment so it looks like it's going to get a Guernsey. Would be happy for any advice good or bad. Cheers

Steve S

Quote from: bungster on March 10, 2017, 07:36:56 PM
I bought  159 JTDm about a week ago and its my first diesel. Have been researching the "right' oil to put in it and have been around in circles with all the advice and opinions on the which one to use. I'm fairly short on the tech "smarts" but after researching it to death have decided to use Penrite Enviro+  5w-40. By chance Repco have it on special (40% off) at the moment so it looks like it's going to get a Guernsey. Would be happy for any advice good or bad. Cheers

Penrite is not my preferred brand but I'd use the same style oil too. The options you'll find will typically be ACEA C3 5w30 or 5w40 and meet MB 229.51, LL04, GM Dexos 2 etc.

bungster

Thanks Steve, sounds like I'm heading down the right track.

kaleuclint

In Penrite we trust.

What is with the never-ending revisions through Alfa / Selenia service bulletins??
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Steve S

Quote from: kaleuclint on April 16, 2017, 01:19:53 PM

What is with the never-ending revisions through Alfa / Selenia service bulletins??

No better testing than thousands of cars out in the real world. It's fairly common for most brands.

I think Petronas is pushing fairly hard in the R&D at the moment too, more than most.

J159

Owned my 159 for 8 months now and going round in circles trying to find out what oil I'll need to buy. Going by the owners manual requirement of 5W-40 ACEA B4 I was looking at Penrite HPR 5 5W-40 which is not recommended for cars with a DPF, although Penrite say it is fine as it meets the Fiat 9.55535 spec.

Any suggestions/advice?

bazzbazz

Quote from: J159 on July 19, 2018, 07:57:50 AM
Owned my 159 for 8 months now and going round in circles trying to find out what oil I'll need to buy. Going by the owners manual requirement of 5W-40 ACEA B4 I was looking at Penrite HPR 5 5W-40 which is not recommended for cars with a DPF, although Penrite say it is fine as it meets the Fiat 9.55535 spec.

Any suggestions/advice?

Penrite HPR 5 5W-40 IS the correct oil for you car. It IS ACEA B4 spec, you have misread/misunderstood the information about the DPF compatibility -

It is NOT suitable for use in diesels fitted with a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) that require an ACEA C Grade Low-SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus & Sulphur)  engine oil.

Your cars DPF does not require a ACEA C grade spec oil.

But it is easy to understand how one could misread that specific difference.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Domenic

Why does penrite specify the low saps oil for the Alfa 159 1.9td and it runs the same DPF as the 2.4td??

bazzbazz

Quote from: Domenic on July 20, 2018, 09:18:52 AM
Why does penrite specify the low saps oil for the Alfa 159 1.9td and it runs the same DPF as the 2.4td??

Ask Alfa Romeo, they are the ones that specify two different oils for the two engines.

For the 2.4 Alfa Romeo states SELENIA WR         5W-40 ACEA B3/B4, API CF
For the 1.9 Alfa Romeo states SELENIA WR PE    5W-30 ACEA C2

So Penrite is just listing the oil that Alfa specifies, and no, I have no idea as why Alfa specifies two different oils for almost identical engines.  ???

Both oils are stated in the manual, different types for the two engines, so unlike what Petronas claimed in the original post above, it is not because the WR PE wasn't available when the 2.4 engine first came out, because Alfa was already specifying the WR PE for the 1.9.

DUN DA DAHHHH - the plot thickens  :o
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Domenic

Well in my owners manual it specifies Selenia WR 5w40 for both diesel engines (1.9 & 2.4) in the 159 which needs to meet the 9.55535-N2 Fiat spec. So i guess the plot does thicken...........

J159

Quote from: bazzbazz on July 19, 2018, 09:47:16 PM
Penrite HPR 5 5W-40 IS the correct oil for you car. It IS ACEA B4 spec, you have misread/misunderstood the information about the DPF compatibility -

It is NOT suitable for use in diesels fitted with a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) that require an ACEA C Grade Low-SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus & Sulphur)  engine oil.

Your cars DPF does not require a ACEA C grade spec oil.

But it is easy to understand how one could misread that specific difference.

Thanks mate. That's how I read it initially, just wanted to make sure before I went ahead.

Craig_m67

I've been avoiding Penrite oils my whole life because of John Laws.. just realised it was Valvoline he was brand dick for.

That said, I'm not enamoured by either the Penrite or Valovline logos so will continue to choose my oils like my wines - groovy label, it's bought**  ;)

** I also try to ensure the correct the spec but as this thread demonstrates, it's confusing as shit sometimes.  That's said, I haven't had an Alfa detonate due to oil related injuries ever, in over thirty years (plenty of head gaskets and the odd tree has been involved, though never at the same time)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Steve S

FWIW If I had one of these I would use Castrol Edge 0w-40 (ACEA C3 version). This oil and others would have met ACEA A3/B4 when the 159 was released.