Author Topic: Brake lights Alfetta GTV  (Read 144 times)

poohbah

Brake lights Alfetta GTV
« on: July 13, 2018, 11:17:11 PM »
I have a minor but annoying problem - tail lights, rear indicators, and reversing lights all work on my GTV, but the brake lights have stopped working on the LHS. I replaced bothLHS brake light globes (dual filament 12V 21/5W) but although the tail light filament comes on with the rest of the lights, the brake light filaments still don't work.

Any hints where to start? Are there separate fuses for brake lights on each side?

Not sure if it is relevant, but I also discovered some lovely rust holes either side of the cut-outs in the sheet metal when I removed the lens. I guess moisture could have got in and corroded the connections? Seems odd that it would be both globes though, given they each have their own plastic connector terminal that are a few inches apart.

Now:    1999 156 V6
             1981 GTV
Before: 2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

sportiva

• ooVoo
Re: Brake lights Alfetta GTV
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »
Hi poobah
As you know one of the light has two connectors use a circuit tester at both connectors to confirm if power is reaching there then onto the single connector on the other light.  If you have power then remove the printed circuit board and clean up the contacts also clean or even reposition the tangs inside the bulb retainer sometimes lifting them up a little will bring a dead light back to life

cheers
3.0 GTV6 156JTS X2

75 2.5
2.0 Alfetta Sportiva #22
1.8 Alfetta
1.2 alfasud
2 75 parted out
15 alfettas parted
10 gtv parted
5 alfasuds parted

Car forums usually have more philosophers than practitioners

poohbah

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 11:08:51 AM »
Thanks sportiva, will see if I can get them going again.  Don't want to sound dumb, but when you say circuit board, do you mean at fuse box?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:11:50 AM by poohbah »
             1981 GTV

CitroŽnbender

• Gen. 3:19
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 06:22:59 PM »
I'd presume he's referring to the bulb carrier, that portion the lamp bases lock into with their bayonet fixings. If you've got corrosion it's obviously a bit humid in there, so quite possible oxidisation has occurred. I use grey Scotchbrite instead of 0000 steel wool to buff contacts.

There are contact enhancing chemicals, dear to buy but in a marginal situation might make enough difference to be worthwhile. Look up Stabilant-22A. 

Multimeters are getting cheaper by the year, I augmented my 2006 $79 unit with a $40 meter from the same supplier (Jaycar) in May. Near enough to the same specs.

poohbah

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 08:05:04 PM »
Cheers CB, my first plan of attack is to check the connections to the bulb carrier. Definitely my main suspect given the rust holes I found lurking once I removed the lens.

I suspect its nothing too complicated - even the tail light filament on one one flicked on/off with a bit of fiddling the globe, so contact points may just need a clean up.
             1981 GTV