Just to make you all jealous...

Started by Stuart Thomson, July 13, 2018, 07:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Thomson

Hi All,

Basking in the sun over here in Europe.  Took a trip on the Autobahn in my F-Type Jag.  No speed limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnXftmeVaWg&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy.

Cheers
Stu

Stuart Thomson

Neil Choi

Yep.  I am stuck in traffic doing 30km/h.

Italian Supermodel

Hi Stuart,  thanks for posting.
Great footage and the sound is brilliant.

Still goes to show,  whether you're on an Autobahn or the Monash,  there are imbosiles at every turn.  I truly could not believe how many times you were blocked by 'slow' movers in the fast lane.
My last time in Italy I was hanging on for dear life as my paisano had his gti maxed out on the autosrada. What stuck with me was the absolute adhearance to staying out of the left lane when cars are screaming up to you. Admittedly the headlights were getting a good workout but all vehicles were way moved over by the time we were within say 100 metres.
Can I ask, were you flashing or just trying to hold on to the beast?
Anyway I'll be in the 200 metre congo line tomorrow sometime on the Eastern.Right hand lane doing 95.

kartone

In Italy there is a speed limit on the autostrada and you will get a ticket in the mail.
In Germany you do not flash the high beams, you turn on your left indicator!
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

poohbah

I'd find it hard, as someone used to driving in Oz, to drive as fast as that on an autobahn - I just don't have enough trust in the sense of drivers in the slow lane. Too used here to people just pulling in front of me without looking first to see if anyone is coming.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Stuart Thomson

Quote from: Italian Supermodel on July 14, 2018, 12:55:01 AM
Hi Stuart,  thanks for posting.
Great footage and the sound is brilliant.

Still goes to show,  whether you're on an Autobahn or the Monash,  there are imbosiles at every turn.  I truly could not believe how many times you were blocked by 'slow' movers in the fast lane.
My last time in Italy I was hanging on for dear life as my paisano had his gti maxed out on the autosrada. What stuck with me was the absolute adhearance to staying out of the left lane when cars are screaming up to you. Admittedly the headlights were getting a good workout but all vehicles were way moved over by the time we were within say 100 metres.
Can I ask, were you flashing or just trying to hold on to the beast?
Anyway I'll be in the 200 metre congo line tomorrow sometime on the Eastern.Right hand lane doing 95.

Not much flashing of the headlights, I did edit out some of the slow sections where there are speed limits, mostly through roadworks.

A downchange or two usually wakes up the driver in the left lane to move over.  But sometimes there's a conga line because someone doing 120 wants to overtake someone doing 115 and refuses to do so quickly.

The car is actually very good to drive at this speed, above 260 it gets a bit more attention grabbing, but only when the road surface isn't up to scratch.  I have ventured much further East to the old East German regions, all the Autobahns were redone after reunification, they are magnificent.  I'll do it again soon, should be able to reach Vmax on a Sunday morning.  Highest speed attained so far has been 276 km/h indicated, the GPS said slightly under 270, at which there's supposed to be an electronic limit.

Cheers
Stu

kaleuclint

Quote from: poohbah on July 14, 2018, 08:09:29 PM
I'd find it hard, as someone used to driving in Oz, to drive as fast as that on an autobahn - I just don't have enough trust in the sense of drivers in the slow lane. Too used here to people just pulling in front of me without looking first to see if anyone is coming.
Most people don't exceed 130km/h on the autobahn.  The exceptions are certain Porsche owners (because they can) and tourists (because they can). The reason could be that we have all witnessed accidents on the autobahnen.

In Luxembourg even fewer people drive that fast.  Because if they do they tend to be no longer in Luxembourg. ;D
2011 159ti 1750TBi

kartone

In Europe I have an american registered car, they can try to send me all the tickets they want  ;D
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV