Start/Stop battery

Started by np64, July 09, 2018, 04:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

np64

Hi All,
I am new to this group but have had a Giulietta for just over 4 years. In that time, the start/stop function worked intermittently and has now given up the ghost completely.  The car has done only 27,500km and still has its original battery. I thought that, perhaps, the battery was about to die. The car was serviced today and I again mentioned that the start/stop was not working. I was told today that the battery in the car is the wrong one and that I would have to pay about $700 for a new (correct) battery because the car is out of warranty. I am extremely unimpressed with the dealer and service centre. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Cheers,
Nigel.

bazzbazz

They are correct about the battery being the cause of the stop start not working, and also that the correct type of battery must be used, usually a AGM Battery (Absorbent Glass Mat) And yes they are expensive, but not $700 !!

What model/engine Giulietta so you have, I can give you a link to the correct battery and you can then do a search for a better price in Melb.

I think you will find the correct battery is a DIN53LH MF AGM, available from Supercheap $417.00.

Hunt around and you may find one cheaper.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Italian Supermodel

Another rip off attempt from your local stealership.
Wake up people, stealerships are owned by private individuals who have a system in place to maximise profits everytime you present your vehicle and hand over the keys. Think back,  how many times have you collected your car after a service or specific repair and thought "ouch...... I've just been sexually violated"..?

I recently bought a Fiamm AGM battery for my Golf gti ($321)and it's brilliant. Better response especially,it feels like a different car.

np64

Thank you for your replies.  I was definitely not going to get a battery from the dealer! But what really irks me is that the incorrect battery was supplied in the car initially.

Citroƫnbender

Perhaps specifications have changed, as they do with oils? 

There's only a sight chance that the fitted from new battery was taken (warranty issue on another car that needed fixing on the spot, for example), and an incorrect replacement substituted. 

Have you visited any of the Euro parts sites to see what batteries they specify?

philpot

Hi Nigel, just a couple of quick links discovered that may help when doing a google.   The alfaowner one is more in depth,

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/alfa-romeo-giulietta-used-review-2011-2014-36663     - "...some also reported problems with the stop-start. This function shuts down the engine when the car comes to a halt, at traffic lights and the like, to cut fuel consumption and emissions. If the battery isn't fully charged there can be trouble, sometimes a shutdown..."

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-giulietta/943377-giulietta-2-0-jtdm-new-battery-start-stop-problems.html

Good luck,  Phil

1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Past:   '81 Alfasud ti      '76 Alfasud ti

four90s

It happens everywhere, not just in Alfa land.

I took the work Mazda CX5 in for a service and asked why the autostop light kept flashing.
The answer was "The battery is old and the system doesn't like it. We can supply and fit a new one for only $695.00 sir".

Needless to say even for a work car I thought I could do better and ended up spending $270 for the correct one from a local independent battery supplier.
(Autobarn was about $350).

Steve
Adelaide.

Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)

aggie57

Quote from: Italian Supermodel on July 09, 2018, 08:38:31 PM
a system in place to maximise profits everytime you present your vehicle and hand over the keys"

Of course they do!  It's called business, it's what employs people, pays their wages and everyone's taxes.  Paying more at some places than others is perfectly legit, we all do that when we buy a soft drink or bottle of water from a convenience store rather than in bulk from Coles or Woolies (or better still from Costco). 

Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

kaleuclint

I recently bought a Fiamm AGM battery for my Golf gti ($321)and it's brilliant.
Where did you get that??
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Mick A

Quote from: aggie57 on August 09, 2018, 09:22:24 PM
a system in place to maximise profits everytime you present your vehicle and hand over the keys"

Of course they do!  It's called business, it's what employs people, pays their wages and everyone's taxes.  Paying more at some places than others is perfectly legit, we all do that when we buy a soft drink or bottle of water from a convenience store rather than in bulk from Coles or Woolies (or better still from Costco).

+1 well said.

bazzbazz

Quote from: Haakon on August 09, 2018, 06:16:19 PM
There is a button on the centre console that disables the stop start system altogether. Just press that.

Makes the whole irritating malarkey go away :)

Problem solved. You're welcome.

Yes, then there's that bloody annoying yellow beacon on the dash all the time!   ::)

Anyone got a fix for that. (And no, masking tape on the dash is NOT considered a fix!)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au