Giulietta Tuning

Started by Genghis, April 08, 2012, 10:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Genghis

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have any experience tuning the Giulietta QV as yet?  What did you do and what did you get?

Cheers

Genghis

shiny_car

I believe the TMC tuning box is a great performance mod (~A$400 delivered), and can be combined with a cat-back Ragazzon exhaust. An Alfista in PER highly recommends these mods on his GQV, having done similar to his previous MiTo.

From reports, TMC are great to deal with: reliable and quick. http://www.tmcmotorsport.com/

Then the usual suspension, wheels/tyres, brake pads can all be upgraded, and cosmetic bits and pieces. I'm not aware of any air filters being available.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Genghis

Thanks for that Shiny Car.

I am looking to potentially doing some Production Car racing in it.  I was seriously looking into a 156 GTA (already a race car) but at the end of the day it didn't look like that we could realistically expect it to be faster (within the rules) than my Honda DC2 Type R (it's all about weight!) so the benefit of running the Alfa was purely from a sponsors perspective (brand, brand, brand).  Now the QV would probably not be faster than the DC2 either BUT it still has all the brand benefits and is 'shiny and new' and would fit perfectly with a new product launch my new primary sponsor is doing.

We would have to run the factory boost setting but we can modify the exhaust (and loose the cats) and tune it to suit.  As a lot of the races that we will do as part of this years programme are 40-50 minute races (looking to longer endurance in 2013) we want the thing to be rock solid reliable.  Building a race car is never ever a cheap excercise but it is less expensive if you have a reasonable base.

Any views would be welcome I will look up tmcmotorsport.

Cheers

Genghis

shiny_car

You can get a number of off-the-shelf parts from alfisti.net in GER, another excellent supplier to deal with.
http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styling/Alfa-Giulietta:::1_405.html

KW Version3 coilovers might be a goer: adjustable ride height, compression and rebound damping. (Not listed by alfisti.net, but they can supply KW. Novitec are rebadged KW, but I do not see the fully adjustable version listed, and only height/rebound but not compression.)

You can get other ideas from Gazzella Racing. HOWEVER, these guys unfortunately have a BAD reputation for service and supply. Strongly recommend AGAINST buying from them, based upon other peoples experiences, both in AU and UK. They seem very happy to take your money, often claim to have the parts in stock, but can be lazy to follow-up and you might be stressing for many months without knowing what's happening, and might luckily get a refund after many threats. Well, just saying; it's not too far from some of the truths I've read.
http://www.gazzellaracing.com/home.php?cat=3167

Mind you, I've not built a race car before. All such off-the-shelf parts are targeted more at 'fast street' cars. So they may not be hardcore enough for an optimised race car, for which you might be chasing bespoke customised parts.

Alternative coilovers would be Intrax. I notice they list the 1K2 version for the G, and they will be able to offer various spring rates to suit.
http://www.intraxracing.nl/?cat=productoverzicht&title=producten_assortiment&mid=1

I'm looking at Intrax for my 75 (rebadged by RS Racing), but only as a street car.

Genghis

Thanks again for the great info Shiny Car.

I was reading somewhere that the rev limiter is around 6200 rpm. I am assuming 'D' mode is a remap of the electronics (including the diff).  So;

a) Is the engine not safe above 6200 rpm
b) There is no point (since peak power is at 5500)
c) They just want to keep it nice and durable.

Group 3E regs allow us to remove any catalytic converters in the car.  Are there any that can be removed without wrecking the whole mapping of the car (i.e BMW 135i has two, one that can be removed and another that the electonics depend on).

Cheers

Genghis

shiny_car

I believe the TMC Tuning Box raises the limit to 6500/6800.

Note, I am reading this from posts by a member (68alfa) on ausalfa.com, who has used the TMC TB in both his MiTo and now GQV, and lives in PER. He may be able to offer some useful advice on tuning a GQV.

Not sure about the cats. If it's like old Alfa's like the GTA, they can be 'tricked' easily enough. Though I suspect it would be no issue with a catless exhaust.

Genghis

Thanks for that Shiny Car.  I will track him down.   I have also sent an email to TMC to get their thoughts given the parameters of the rules.

Will let you know how I go.

Cheers

Genghis

Genghis

Hi Shiny Car,

The fellow at TMC was very prompt in his reply.  He said that the tuning box increased the boost pressure and not the rev limit.  I looked at some of 68Alfa's posts and he is saying his rev limit is increased as you have highlighted below.

Does anybody know what the 'factory' boost pressure is on the QV?

Cheers

Genghis

Colin Edwards

Not a Tuning question - more service related.

NGK ILKAR7D6G plugs are specified for the QV engine.  The "6" in the NGK description would usually descibe a 0.6mm plug gap.  Seems a tad narrow!?!    These plugs are probably "pre-gapped" and they do measure up to be 0.6mm.  Would 0.6mm be correct?
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

bazzbazz

Here are the specs for that plug courtesy http://www.ngk-racingsparkplugs.com

NGK LASER IRIDIUM Spark plugs ILKAR7D6G
Part No : 93607
Heat Range : 7
Size: N/A
Resistor Type
Spark Gap – Motorcycle : 0.7-0.8mm / Car : 0.8-0.9mm
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

Out of curiosity, Bazz, what's the recommended frequency for changing these plugs?

bazzbazz

Giulietta -

30,000 kms for 1.4

60,000 kms for 1.75 TBi QV
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Colin Edwards

Thanks.

Did a bit of digging about and located the info below.

https://www.ngk.de/nc/en/product-finder/produktfinder/PKW/ZK_BENZINER/ALFA%20ROMEO/GIULIETTA%20%20%28940%29/ILKAR7D6G/192/

0.6mm does seem a tad tight but according to NGK........................................!
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

Colin Edwards

Replaced the QV's plugs yesterday.  The original 38K old plugs looked pretty good and possibly could have gone another 15k < 20K.  All gaps measured at around 0.57mm.  The 1.7 TBi QV seems pretty easy on plugs.  Possibly the exclusive use of 98 octane?
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

brook308

I believe boost is 21 psi with overboost. We run 26psi constant but also run wmi to prevent detonation Etuners did a custom tune for us based on our requirmemts. Can highly recommend Etuners Brisbane.