JTDm Turbo failure?

Started by mediocregr, July 06, 2018, 10:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnl

Many people will likely cringe at this suggestion, but I've had good experience with a relatively cheap Chinese turbo (i.e. the moving parts only, not the entire thing). This is for a Saab 9-5 that has since done about 60,000km or so on the new turbo components with no turbo issues (famous last words perhaps...).

Regards,
John.

Mick A

Quote from: mediocregr on July 12, 2018, 02:38:34 PM
Although the mechanic said the turbo does sound like its on its way out so the internals should be replaced down the road. But that will be a weekend job in the near future

A turbo failure has the potential in some cases to cause damage to the engine. So it could be a false economy leaving it till later.

Mick.

mediocregr

Quote from: Mick A on July 12, 2018, 11:08:48 PM
Quote from: mediocregr on July 12, 2018, 02:38:34 PM
Although the mechanic said the turbo does sound like its on its way out so the internals should be replaced down the road. But that will be a weekend job in the near future

A turbo failure has the potential in some cases to cause damage to the engine. So it could be a false economy leaving it till later.

Mick.
I'm planning on fixing it as soon as I can, I'm getting a motorbike soon so once I get that I'll be able to still commute and then fix the car.

Im just not sure if I should get the turbo refurbished buying the parts myself and then getting someone to do it or if I should just get a whole turbo body from England for around $400-600. It seems like buying a whole turbo is cheaper.

Thanks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Craig_m67

Nothing wrong with Chinese parts.. any new factory is capable of creating tolerances far better than an older (Euro) factory .... if they want :)

Pretty sure it will be the same (or very similar) turbo on the 1.9JTD found in the Alfa 159.  This engine (1.9JTD) was also used in the Holden (Cruze, Astra, Insignia/Vectra?), SAAB, FIATs, one of the Suzuki(FIAT) 4WDs and others.. so a cheap low mileage replacement might be easily available from a wrecker.

That said, I'd buy new (UK cheapest I imagine) or get it refurbished here in Aust. for some sort of warranty purposes.  I've never pulled a turbo apart.  I've no idea if you can just replace the internals without balancing or machining something. Spins pretty fast though, so any small deviation is going to come unstuck and show itself pretty quick.. it's the broken bits/chips of metal that Mick and Bazz are talking about that will get sucked into your engine scoring or jamming the bores/rings and valves/valve seats etc... engine rebuild (economic throw away) almost always

Or go large and put the 2.4JTD turbo (or other) on and map the sh#t out of it.
Plenty of JTD go fast builds available on alfaowner UK

For those of you playing at home, the turbo inlet manifold from the 1.9JTD fits the twinspark/JTS engines also.....
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

mediocregr

I might have a look around and look into turbo upgrades and remaps, I've read some build over on the uk forums and they sound very fun.