JTDm Turbo failure?

Started by mediocregr, July 06, 2018, 10:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mediocregr

I'm driving to work today when I notice a loud blow off sound, I look around me assuming it was a truck. Soon to discover everytime my car hit boost an increasing loud metallic sound started to play. I lugged the car home to avoid hitting boost and called my mechanic (Italian job auto's) telling me the mechanic is on long service leave.

Firstly has anyone had this issue with their 147?

Secondly how much did it cost to fix roughly?

tldr: Loud whining sound like a sewing machine, turbo failure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LOq23cEZEE  (A video I found with the same issue)

Craig_m67

Unbolt turbo, refurbish or replace... there's eleventy billion turbo cars out there these days, it's not special, you can probably special order it at Bunnings (jk).  Take the opportunity to upgrade turbo, remap the car and annoy your mate with a GTA

Why it carked itself is important... check oil feed lines, oil (is there any) etc...
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

mediocregr

Quote from: Craig_m67 on July 06, 2018, 10:32:28 PM
"Unbolt turbo, refurbish or replace... there's eleventy billion turbo cars out there these days, it's not special, you can probably special order it at Bunnings (jk).  Take the opportunity to upgrade turbo, remap the car and annoy your mate with a GTA" Now that's a good plan! Unfortunately, I just moved and have no garage nor tools so i'm gonna have to fork out some cash :(

"Why it carked itself is important... check oil feed lines, oil (is there any) etc..." Now that is the scary part, I've only had the car for 4 months now and after replacing the EGR valve after the first week this should be a fun one!

Thanks for the quick response.

Craig_m67

Honestly, it's reasonably easy to get to. In front of the engine, four bolts/nuts to the manifold and then three to the exhaust. Whip it off, walk into any turbo place with a JDM skyline outside and have it refurbished or replaced the same day.

Change the oil
Change the oil feed line

Turbos live and die based on the oil they get.. change it, check it, regularly
Mine (1.9JTD, now somebody else's) did 240K km without a drama.. flat out, incl. the Nurburgring

Buy your GF flowers, live life, move on :)
(No sarcasm intended here btw.. life rocks)

mediocregr

Craig, you're an absolute legend, I'm gonna attempt to fix it solo!

Would anyone know where to get a new oil feed line from?

also, I have noticed that my oil levels have not budged over 7,000ks. Could this have possibly be the cause? (clogged oil feed line)

bazzbazz

Speaking of Oil Feed Lines . . . . Craig, are you listening?    ::)

(Just a little nudge about getting his replaced)   ;)

;D ;D ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Mick A

Gday,

I would like to add to this conversation that I don't believe it to be a smart decision to jump straight to the conclusion of a damaged turbocharger based on a diagnosis made by somebody that hasn't even looked at your car.

Removing a turbo is a lot of work and expense to undertake based on a guess, the first thing you would do if you suspected turbo failure is remove a pipe from the turbo to gain access to the impeller and see if you can move/spin it by hand. Also to feel for play in the bearings/shaft.

If that video you've supplied the link to is what you believe your car is doing exactly, from that video I would guess it to be a split in the turbo hose.

If you are hearing that sound, it could be the sound of high pressure air escaping. You'll also have a lot of black smoke from the exhaust due to the richness of the mixture caused by the escaping air not getting to the intake. I've seen/fixed plenty of 147's that have split the turbo hoses.

Also a faulty turbo will not usually produce normal boost pressures. I wouldn't jump to conclusions, even though the advice provided to you is good advice, it may not necessarily be the correct advice, and you could waste a lot of time/money.

We have replaced turbos on 147's before, but I would say 9 out of 10 cars that come in with turbo problems and up needing a hose or intake manifold over a turbocharger. Yes you read that correct, I have seen the plastic intake manifolds split open before.

If you want any further advice feel free to PM me.

Mick.

mediocregr

Quote from: Mick A on July 07, 2018, 02:23:01 AM
Gday,

I would like to add to this conversation that I don't believe it to be a smart decision to jump straight to the conclusion of a damaged turbocharger based on a diagnosis made by somebody that hasn't even looked at your car.

Removing a turbo is a lot of work and expense to undertake based on a guess, the first thing you would do if you suspected turbo failure is remove a pipe from the turbo to gain access to the impeller and see if you can move/spin it by hand. Also to feel for play in the bearings/shaft.

If that video you've supplied the link to is what you believe your car is doing exactly, from that video I would guess it to be a split in the turbo hose.

If you are hearing that sound, it could be the sound of high pressure air escaping. You'll also have a lot of black smoke from the exhaust due to the richness of the mixture caused by the escaping air not getting to the intake. I've seen/fixed plenty of 147's that have split the turbo hoses.

Also a faulty turbo will not usually produce normal boost pressures. I wouldn't jump to conclusions, even though the advice provided to you is good advice, it may not necessarily be the correct advice, and you could waste a lot of time/money.

We have replaced turbos on 147's before, but I would say 9 out of 10 cars that come in with turbo problems and up needing a hose or intake manifold over a turbocharger. Yes you read that correct, I have seen the plastic intake manifolds split open before.

If you want any further advice feel free to PM me.

Mick.
Hey Mick,

Thanks for the reply, I have pm'd you in regards to all the symptoms.

Just to make it clear I have the sound in the video but no smoke and hardly any loss in power.

Thanks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Craig_m67

Mick's advice is sound.. don't change anything until you have it diagnosed correctly.
I misunderstood late last night and thought you had already established it was buggered.

I split both the lower and then (after replacing it) the upper boost hose, results in black smoke and loss of power as Mick says.

I did over 240K km on my 1.9JTD, flat out. Turbo was fine.

mediocregr

I just took the engine cover off, took the car for a spin and looked around for any broken hoses or other issues.

The car does not smoke at all and the power feels fine although I didn't push it too hard as seen in the videos. It's hard with the wind sound but it sounds like a harsh whoosh sound. If I could compare it to anything imagine shaking raw rice in a container or pouring it. similar to the sound of a crashing wave

I honestly don't have a clue what the issue is and the more I listen the more I think its a problem with the bearing in the turbo.

Here are two clips I just took of the car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHFmYGmXHC0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7qBFKXXfLc

bazzbazz

May I suggest that you STOP driving it/tinkering with it and just get it towed to your Alfa Mech ASAP. If it is something in the turbo (Failed Bearing or vanes) you don't want it to turn into a catastrophic failure risking blown up turbo pieces going down the engines throat.

:o
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

mediocregr

Quote from: bazzbazz on July 07, 2018, 05:40:38 PM
May I suggest that you STOP driving it/tinkering with it and just get it towed to your Alfa Mech ASAP. If it is something in the turbo (Failed Bearing or vanes) you don't want it to turn into a catastrophic failure risking blown up turbo pieces going down the engines throat.

:o
Yeah fragmented metal will not make my engine happy. Cheers

mediocregr

Resolved. Just an intercooler hose. I'm am extremely relieved. Thanks for all the help guys!

Mick A

mediocregr

Although the mechanic said the turbo does sound like its on its way out so the internals should be replaced down the road. But that will be a weekend job in the near future