Knocking / creaking from front end when accelerating / braking

Started by Kay_147_GTA, June 29, 2018, 04:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kay_147_GTA

So for the last couple of weeks I've notice some creaking / knocking noises coming from the front end (sometimes drivers side and sometimes from the middle), usually 2 knocks close to each other. So I decided to take her to Self Serve Automotive last night and have a look underneath. I took photos of all the joints / bushes but couldn't see anything *THAT* bad or that had any play in it. However I did notice some rubbing on the bottom of the front top wishbone on drivers side that didn't appear on the passenger side and a cable leading into the passenger side front calipers that was broken.

So 2 questions:

1) What could cause the rubbing on the wishbone? Can't believe the tyre would travel that high that it hits the wishbone?
2) What does that cable do? I'm guessing it's a sensor of some type?

I'm gonna say the knocking is due to bushes on ARB or lower engine mount? Top mount was recently replaced.
2005 147 GTA Monza (96 of 100)

bazzbazz

1/ Are you sure that mark on the wishbone is a rub and not from a rock or something flying past, as there is a chip above it as well.

2/ That broken wire in the last photo fits into the back of the plug that is center stage of the photo. It is the sense wire for the "Low Brake Pad Warning".

3/ The "two knocks close to each other" will be either the sway bar sliding back & forth & hitting the stops or the drop links "popping".

It's easy to tell which is which, get the front end off the ground and grab hold of the sway bar and give it a good push and pull side to side. If the bushes are really worn you will fell it go clunk clunk against the stop collars of the sway bar. If it is firm or barely moves it will be the drop links.

Note, if either of these is the cause the other won't be far behind so suggest if it is either the roll bar bushes or dop links I suggest doing both together.

NOW, to eliminate the problem being anywhere else in the suspension simply disconnect the drop links on both sides at the top where it bolts onto the roll bar. Then tie them down securely with Lock Wire or similar and take the car for a drive. If the knocking is gone you have eliminated the noise being anything else in the suspension.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Kay_147_GTA

Hi BazzBazz

1)  Can't be sure, it kinda looks like the tyre rubbing when on full lock by the shape of it.

2)  Sounds pretty important, will definitely be getting that connected back up soon!

3)  I did give the sway bar a bit of a push and didn't seem to feel any play, though I could probably have pushed a bit harder. Think I'll put new drop links in as they don't seem too pricey, easy to swap and after 120k probably could do with changing anyway. I can also try the Lock Wire solution at the same time whilst I have it up on hoist and see if it's an issue anywhere else.

Many thanks for this!!!

bazzbazz

Quote from: Kay_147_GTA on July 02, 2018, 09:15:07 AM
1)  Can't be sure, it kinda looks like the tyre rubbing when on full lock by the shape of it.

Do you have standard offset rims of something exotic?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

johnl

Just had a look at my car, and I can't imagine how it would be remotely possible for the tyre to make that mark on the wishbone. There is a LOT of clearance between where the mark is and the tyre. Even with non standard rims / tyres and the suspension at full bump travel I just can't see how. And, it just doesn't look like a tyre rub mark to me, I'd expect something less 'defined'.

It might be an interesting exercise to get under there with a spray can of fast drying paint, paint over the mark, and see if it reappears...

Regards,
John.

Kay_147_GTA

BazzBazz - Nope standard GTA 17 inch Teledials, no spacers (that I'm aware of)

Johnl - Yeah I couln't work out how the tyre could hit the wishbone either. Paint could be an idea, maybe even just some Tipex, see if it disappears or stays after a few days 

Kay_147_GTA

Worked out that the rubbing on the upper wishbone was from the wheel arch lining, it seemed to be out of shape and rubbing on it.

Took a stanley knife to it and trimmed it so that it doesn't, I thought this might have also been the cause of the creaking noise but it wasn't :(   I also took a can of Silicone lube to all the rubber bushes on the front and back suspension which has very nicely stopped all the squeaking / groaning noises when going over speed bumps.

I still have the knocking noise however, but only after about 15 mins of driving so suspect something is warming up to cause it. Think it's either the sway bar sliding forwards and back or the ball joint on drivers side top wishbone.

The adventure continues......