Installing 2.0 JTS Variator

Started by MattyG, June 24, 2018, 03:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattyG

I don't think so. It locks in snug in 3 spots and is well away from the ring. I did my feet to keep away from the sensor.

The error didn't come up until we drove it for 25 minutes and then started it again.

It's main issue now is not being keen to start when she is warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bazzbazz

Are you SURE it's the Camshaft sensor and not the Crankshaft Sensor?

Either can fail all on their own, but it is usually the Crankshaft sensor that is heat affected.

Starts first go when cold, hard to start or won't start when hot is usually the Crankshaft sensor.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

Tacho needle that won't rise is another clue of dead CAS.

(I had used the word "виагра" in English and it blocked my post!)

MattyG

I had read that the 2 sensors not talking to each other is a common fault. Apart from an oscilloscope is there a way of testing the Cam or crank sensor with a Multi meter? The OBD scanner said it's the Cam one but it is just a SP tools OBD scanner.

bazzbazz

No that's not correct, the data from both sensors are independently fed into the ECU, they do not "Talk" to each other.

Simple, check with your scanner that the error is still there, DON'T clear it. Then disconnect the plug to the Camshaft Sensor and check with your scanner again. If the original error is the only one there still then it is the Camshaft sensor that faulty. If a new one pops up then the original error is the Crankshaft Sensor.

Don't forget to plug the Camshaft sensor back in after the elimination test.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Mick A

If the car won't start when hot, it's almost guaranteed to be the crank angle sensor.

Also believe it or not,  a faulty crank angle sensor won't always log a code.

Change the crank angle sensor, I think you'll find it'll fix your problem. No point in doing cam sensor until you do the easy job first.

mick.

MattyG

Quote from: bazzbazz on July 11, 2018, 06:15:06 PM
No that's not correct, the data from both sensors are independently fed into the ECU, they do not "Talk" to each other.

Simple, check with your scanner that the error is still there, DON'T clear it. Then disconnect the plug to the Camshaft Sensor and check with your scanner again. If the original error is the only one there still then it is the Camshaft sensor that faulty. If a new one pops up then the original error is the Crankshaft Sensor.

Don't forget to plug the Camshaft sensor back in after the elimination test.

I have tried to find the Camshaft sensor plug and haven't been able to locate it other then it's Blue and 3 pins. Any tips on where it is?

I'll look into the crank sensor change

Thanks Matt

Mick A

It's the blue plug on top of the drivers side of the plenum.

bazzbazz

Also just to clarify, when you disconnect the Camshaft angle sensor, you must then try to start the motor to see if disconnecting it makes a new error pop up. If the same error pops up and no new ones, then you have confirmed it is the Camshaft Sensor.

And as Mick said, it is the Crankshaft Sensor that is temperature dependent on failure, thus the reason why what your scanner says
is confusing and why you need to do this test to confirm its not feeding you bullshit.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

MattyG

So we have ordered the new camshaft sensor and befor I get into doing the belt again I want to buy some long bolts for the fan locking blocks. I believe they are an m7 as the three bolt joints in Port Macquarie could not help. Can someone tell me the longest bolt I can use as well as the size and thread? I am on the Gold Coast this week so I'll check out what the bolt  guy up here has. Thanks Matt

bazzbazz

Quote from: MattyG on August 05, 2018, 11:50:15 PM
I want to buy some long bolts for the fan locking blocks.

I assume you mean Cam Locking Blocks?  Any decent bolt place has them, try Bolt King if there is one of the Gold Coast.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

MattyG

Yep it was a bit late.  Cam blocks it is. But How long can I use and they look like a fine thread. Are they an m7 1.25 thread?

Citroënbender

I think it's M7×1,00 thread.  Chris at Fasteners Galore/Bolt Warehouse should have them, not sure if in a socket head though.