Installing 2.0 JTS Variator

Started by MattyG, June 24, 2018, 03:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattyG

Hi Again.

I have had to remove the cam shaft to remove and replace that Variator. This all when well until I have now tried to get back to the new timing belt and when I put the cam shaft back with the new Variator the cam sprocket will not adjust back to where it was before see marks are 2 teeth out.

My thought is the Variator has a different final spot and I need to loosen that sprocket and fit it half way in its adjustment. Ignoring the marks I put on the intake side but make sure the balance shaft lines up with the marks on the exhaust side.

The cam shaft has been put back on the same angle as the clamping tool has longed up.

Am I correct? Had to find info on the Variator install

Cheers Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattyG

Thanks for that, I can't seem to find a TDC tool in Australia, any chance I can borrow or buy one someone is finished with? Not keen to trust a screwdriver test on the TDC. I just can't fathom why there isn't a TDC mark like every other car. How hard can it be? What could possibly go wrong?

bazzbazz

Ok, Matt I have one word for you - STOP!

I don't mean to sound rude or condescending but I am afraid you are dong many critical steps all wrong and you will end up in tears or worse!

If you like give me a call around 7.00pm tomorrow nite and I will talk you through the process.

And there IS a timing mark on the engine, just that few people know where or what to look for. (And no, I am NOT talking about the mark on the plastic timing belt cover)

Barry
On The Spot Alfa
0405 721613
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

MattyG

Yep I STOPPED a while ago. I have done enough timing belts on enough different cars to know when to stop.
Thanks Barry would love your advice. I'll give you a call tomorrow night.

Any tips one where I can find a TDC tool to get it freighted tomorrow?

Cheers

bazzbazz

Just out of curiosity, WHY have you put white out marks on the new belt? They come with timing marks on them new.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

MattyG

That the old belt. My intention was the transfer those marks onto the new belt to put them back. Found the marks on the new belt after this. Just concerned it's 2 teeth different

Citroënbender

All sorted via Skype/Facetime/Signal?

Or is it double shots, no ice, all 'round?

bazzbazz

YOU did sort it, or are you asking has it been sorted?

No phone call yet, but i don't think he's in that much of a rush.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

No, I haven't had any input other than comments posted here.  :)

Cool Jesus

My money is on the camshaft gears not being loosened when fitting the belt. When you install a new belt the 4 bolts on the intake gear (variator) need to be loose and the 1 bolt on the
exhaust gear needs to be loose. You'l find both gears will have some movement back and forth. Roughly centralise each, install new belt, tension the belt and then tighten the 4 + 1 bolts to the correct torque. remove cam locks, Turn motor by hand 2 revolutions and recheck tension.
All belts stretch differently, new and old, the tension takes up slack as it ages. 

Hopefully you've followed the workshop guide as torque values are important. On a side note, I've had great success on rebuilding the variators at a cost of about $20 with the Alfa OEM kit.

Only marks to be concerned about on the timing belt is the direction of travel. Balance belt has marks that need aligning. 

Do give Bazz a call Matty. Its an expensive and heartbreaking job to not get right, but very satisfying when you do.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

bazzbazz

Quote from: Cool Jesus on June 26, 2018, 10:01:35 PM

Only marks to be concerned about on the timing belt is the direction of travel.

That's not quite correct. The main timing belt DOES have specific timing marks other than the direction of travel, 2 of them in fact, and are there to ensure you have everything set correctly.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

MattyG

So the other day I loosened the 4 bolts and sliding the gear around as far as it would go would not line up the marks on the old belt

Thanks heaps for the help and BazzBazz I will get to calling you, I've been hammered with End of Financial year jobs and then two 7:00 meeting in a row. Maybe tomorrow night.

So do I need to order a TDC tool or is there a work around? BazzBazz you said there is a secret squirrel mark does that mean I don't need the tool? And how tight it tight on the tentioner?

I haven't touched it since Sunday. I moved onto brakes at least I can do that.

Cool Jesus

Quote from: bazzbazz on June 26, 2018, 10:56:05 PM

That's not quite correct. The main timing belt DOES have specific timing marks other than the direction of travel, 2 of them in fact, and are there to ensure you have everything set correctly.

I stand corrected. Yes I have seen the markings on the belt. Will note where they land next belt change.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

MattyG

So Update. Thanks BazzBazz for the tips, I have it running and it is Sweet. One of the smoothest engines I've seen run. Heaps better then when I picked up, also the engine light was on I assumed Variator / stuff that would be fixed with the belts changed. Well engine light is back on. OBD scan shows cam sensor🤦🏻‍♂️. Any way of testing this befor I buy another one and can I take the exhaust cam sprocket off and re time and tension the timing belt without taking the balance belt off or I need to start from scratch?

bazzbazz

I warned you didn't I !!!

I think your home made Counter Torque Tool may have bent the sensor rail on the back of the exhaust pulley. Or it came in contact with the sensor itself.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast