Interior Trim options - 1977 Alfetta GTV

Started by Alfetta77, June 22, 2018, 08:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfetta77

Hi, I have a 1977 Alfetta GTV with the grey carpet / grey velour interior. I have noticed some early cars have black vinyl with red carpet (at least I assume it was red once, now looks kind of a coral pink). Was this just a different trim option at the time of purchase? Why I'm asking - I have read on this forum that the grey velour fabric is no longer available, so thinking about the black vinyl as another possible option. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Current:  Alfetta GTV 1977 Silver
Previous: Alfetta GTV 1980 Red

poohbah

Your only chance of matching the original velour is if you find a donor interior in decent condition - the fabric hasn't been available for many years apparently. Mine originally had the beige rigato velour interior, but it was reupholstered in black velour by a previous owner several years ago.

I quite like it all in black - my only complaint is that the fabric quality wasn't great, and new seat foam/bolsters weren't put in, so they are now a bit thin and shabby.

Bonno recently reupholstered his GTV in leather - very swish, but not cheap. (check out his pics - they are in this chatroom somewhere).

So what am I saying?- I guess that whatever you choose to do, use the best quality material you can afford, and make sure the seat foam is in good shape too. I reckon the thing that stands out about good GTV interiors is that the seats look really "pumped up" and plush.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bonno

Hi Alfetta 77
Here is a recent photo of the finished interior on the Alfetta GTV under natural light. I have also attached link to the post on the process of getting them done from start to finish.
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=16802.15

Paul Gulliver

If you are trying to restore the interior with the grey velour I have seen the following done  with good results. If the grey velour has failed on the bottom part of the seat( where your arse goes) . Remove the velour from the back of the seat upright and re upholster the seat . Retrim the back of the seat with material as near as possible . As it is not really seen when presenting the car interior .

If you got down the black vinyl option, the product is not hard to get. It is the same material that was used in MGB's. ( Your auto trimmer will know.) I had the drivers seat base in my car replaced with the black vinyl material and you can't let the difference from the rest of the car.   Still won't look as good as Bonno's car though.   

Hope this helps.

PS : The pink coral colour in the floor trim  you mention was probably originally grey / black . Remove some of the trim on the transmission tunnel and have a look. 1970's Italian material didn't survive the UV  to well in Australia.

PPS . Bonno. Your car  interior leather  is better than our lounge room
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Craig_m67

Correct coloured vinyl off the roll, by the metre, is available for the 105 cakes from Alfaholics and ClassicAlfa etc. I imagine they can source (or it's possibly identical?) for the later 116 cars.

I remember trying to get the black and green (square) dot seat material for my '88 Sprint QV back in 1993. Impossible (and already faded) back then.

Good luck
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Alfetta77

Thanks everyone, really useful tips. Bonno, I had seen your thread, looks amazing - I think you have set a new standard :)

Citroënbender

"Most Envied Interior".  I never tire of looking at the plushness of those seats - it's darned near perfect.

Garibaldi

This picture is the most accurate one I can find for the original trim. I hope it helps.

Alfetta77

Thanks Garibaldi. I think I will make the interior a problem for later, good to know what options exist though.

poohbah

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Alfetta77

Wow! - that's out there  8) I have been playing with the idea of black vinyl with red carpet, kind of like the interior in your post but in reverse.

Alfetta77

105gta

On the subject of colours, just curious. What colours were available? I've really only seen black vinyl, black with pinstripe velour,  grey and tan seats and black or blue carpet.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce (WIP)
1985 GTV6 (WIP)