Bluetooth OBDII Scanners

Started by V AR 164, June 21, 2018, 10:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

Hi all, just thought I'd comment on my current experience using the little bluetooth obd2 readers which pair to your smartphone.

If you don't know what they are, essentially it is an obd2 plug with a small circuit built into it which has a bluetooth chip and connects to your smartphone and can be used with multiple applications.

Initially, I purchased a cheap one off fleabay (cost me $8), with my expectations pretty low. When it arrived I plugged it into the Alfa and to no-ones surprise it wouldn't get recognised on my phone. I even tried on a few VE commodores and it just wouldn't show up in my bluetooth settings. I knew it would be sh*t, but something that doesn't even power on, really? The old saying, you get what you pay for couldn't be more true.

So I gave in and went up to my local Jaycar and purchased one of these: https://www.jaycar.com.au/obd-ii-engine-code-reader-with-bluetooth-technology/p/PP2145

Plugged it in and immediately came up on my phone. I opened a free app I downloaded called 'Torque' and it immediately recognised the Alfa's ECU and is able to give me every bit of information I would ever want.

From live telemetry (boost pressure, intake temps, revs, speed, coolant temp etc) all the way to reading ECU codes and also clearing codes.

Of course it is not going to be as good as the proper Alfa workshop scanners, but for something that is as inexpensive as it is, it gets the job done and I couldn't ask for much more.

Would definitely recommend grabbing one, makes working on a modern car 1000 times easier when it can actually tell you whats wrong!!!

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti